none
Can I open custom Backstage Page from my Custom Ribbon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Win7/VSTO/Office 2010

I've created a custom Ribbon and custom Backstage Page for my VSTO AddIn.  Is there any way to open my custom Backstage Page from one of my Ribbon Controls (I.E. push a button control on my Ribbon and zing, my Backstage Page is displayed)??

Also, in the Backstage MSDN info, I found:

Ribbon, Mini toolbar and galleries all help you work in your documents; Backstage view helps you work with your documents.

So then, should I NOT set per-document option values in Backstage. If my Backstage Options page contains multiple option values, Is there only one Backstage set of values for multiple documents opened at the same time??  Or are there one set per opened document??

Thanks,

Billwa992

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill

Opening Backstage from your Ribbon: Short of leveraging the Ribbon's Accessbility API, I think you'd have to use SendKeys to send the keyboard command (Alt+F for English-language installations).

<<So then, should I NOT set per-document option values in Backstage. If my Backstage Options page contains multiple option values, Is there only one Backstage set of values for multiple documents opened at the same time??  Or are there one set per opened document??>>

If you look at File/Info, at the right you'll see the document properties for the currently opened file. The Print and Save settings also refer only to the currently opened file. The settings under Options and Advanced are mixed for the entire environment / the specific document.

The statement is meant another way. Basically, it means you should try to "edit" the document from within Backstage view (which is also why you can't see it). Backstage view is more for "management" and not for "editing".

So, certainly, DO put per-document option values (sounds similar to document properties in concept) in the Backstage :-)

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Test Wordrake Friday, February 10, 2012 4:34 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill

Opening Backstage from your Ribbon: Short of leveraging the Ribbon's Accessbility API, I think you'd have to use SendKeys to send the keyboard command (Alt+F for English-language installations).

<<So then, should I NOT set per-document option values in Backstage. If my Backstage Options page contains multiple option values, Is there only one Backstage set of values for multiple documents opened at the same time??  Or are there one set per opened document??>>

If you look at File/Info, at the right you'll see the document properties for the currently opened file. The Print and Save settings also refer only to the currently opened file. The settings under Options and Advanced are mixed for the entire environment / the specific document.

The statement is meant another way. Basically, it means you should try to "edit" the document from within Backstage view (which is also why you can't see it). Backstage view is more for "management" and not for "editing".

So, certainly, DO put per-document option values (sounds similar to document properties in concept) in the Backstage :-)

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Test Wordrake Friday, February 10, 2012 4:34 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Thanks Cindy
    Friday, February 10, 2012 4:35 PM