none
CAB file too big RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a Smartphone CAB file but problem is it's too big for Mobile Phone.
    It;s including assemblies like System.Web, System.Text. I thought these are part of Windows Mobile OS.
    How do I make this file smaller - from 6MG to about 2-3MG?
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Makhosa,

The assemblies like System.web, Systme.Text are in GAC of the device, we have no need to deploy it in CAB file, if we install its related Compact framework to the device, these assemblies have also been installed on the GAC of the device.

So here I suggest you remove these assemblies of the CF and try again.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:54 AM

All replies

• Are you sure you didn't accidentally reference one of the desktop .Net assemblies?
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:26 PM
  • Hi Makhosa,

The assemblies like System.web, Systme.Text are in GAC of the device, we have no need to deploy it in CAB file, if we install its related Compact framework to the device, these assemblies have also been installed on the GAC of the device.

So here I suggest you remove these assemblies of the CF and try again.

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Hi Makhosa,

One more thing you do is , you can set the Compress property of cab project to True ,  & try it..

Hope  this will help you.
    Thanks, Mohsin Shaikh. If you find my post is helpful for you then mark it as answer.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:37 AM
  • But when I install just the executable without libraries like System.Web.dll, System.dll, etc, it complains missing those libraries. In which folder on the device are these libraries or the GAC located? How do make the libraries in GAC visible to my executable?
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:55 AM
  • it's compressed Boss! Any idea what else this could be?
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Hi Makhosa,

Please look at following blog:
    Steven Pratschner's .Net CF WebLog : .Net Compact Framework GAC

HOW TO: Install .NET Compact Framework Assemblies into the GAC 

Best regards,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT
    Monday, March 8, 2010 2:24 AM