System dies on wake-up

Question

• Hi all,

got one annoying problem with Developer Preview - after sending my laptop to sleep it never wakes up. On pressing "Power" it blinks for short time with power / hdd led and after goes to "coma" state - no led are lighted, no any reaction to power button (5 seconds hold either) but I can hear fan inside laptop is working. Only one way to get it back to work - pull off battery and then turn on PC.

I have Vaio VPC SB2 on Intel HD65 Express chipset and i3 (Sandy Bridge) processor.

Does anyone had the same problem or have any ideas wtf? I can only assume that this is related somehow to integrated video because I have to manually remove video driver and install it again after each restart to get video adapter work fine (with brightness control).

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hey Alexey,

The "Unable to start windows tailored application: access denied" error message along with the Metro application problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action. The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve the Unable to start... error message.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General on the left column
    • Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the error message in Visual Studio, if you can access Metro applications, etc.

It may be necessary to install the drivers from the Sony support site again, but test for each of the problems you have experienced so far before installing the drivers if they are needed again. If you install the drivers, test each of the problems you have received up to this point to see if any of them became better or worse.

Then let us know how each of the tests (before and after if you need to install the drivers again) resulted.

Steven
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Hey Alexey.Nesterov,

Have you tried installing the latest video driver (and other drivers) directly from your computer manufacturer's website? If not, please visit the link below to download the latest drivers from Sony:
    Sony eSupport - Electronics Support

If the installation of the driver tells you that it isn't compatible with your current version of Windows, try using the compatibility troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard to enter the Start screen
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:57 PM

All replies

• Hey Alexey.Nesterov,

Have you tried installing the latest video driver (and other drivers) directly from your computer manufacturer's website? If not, please visit the link below to download the latest drivers from Sony:
    Sony eSupport - Electronics Support

If the installation of the driver tells you that it isn't compatible with your current version of Windows, try using the compatibility troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard to enter the Start screen
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Hi Steven,

thank you for reply. I've finally found hardware drivers on Sony support site and installed all that is requried (including video). Now video driver works on system start fine, it's not neccessary to disable / enable it anymore. But sleep mode still doesn't work and Metro applications stopped working. They just shows start screen for couple seconds and then goes to green screen. Screen resolution is fine (1366 x 768). When I'm trying to launch new created app from Visual Studio I'm getting error "Unable to start windows tailored application: access denied". What could I do with this?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Hello Alexey.Nesterov,

Glad to see downloading the drivers from the Sony site helped with your video issue.

You might try to see if you disable Hybrid boot will help with wake up on your computer. .
    Go to Power Options in the Control Panel, select "Choose what the power button does" in the sidebar on the left, click "Change settings that are currently unavailable", then finally untick "Enable Hybrid Boot".

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for your answer.

I've tried to untick "Enable Hybrid Boot" but it didn't help unfortunately. Is there any way to get "wake-up" log to check which device / service cannot start?

Alexey.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:04 AM
  • Hey Alexey,

The "Unable to start windows tailored application: access denied" error message along with the Metro application problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action. The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve the Unable to start... error message.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General on the left column
    • Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the error message in Visual Studio, if you can access Metro applications, etc.

It may be necessary to install the drivers from the Sony support site again, but test for each of the problems you have experienced so far before installing the drivers if they are needed again. If you install the drivers, test each of the problems you have received up to this point to see if any of them became better or worse.

Then let us know how each of the tests (before and after if you need to install the drivers again) resulted.

Steven
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:50 AM