Performance Testing of ASP.NET application that uses Silverlight RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to create the web performance test script for ASP.NET application that uses Silverlight. I am using Visual Studio Ultimate 2013. Silverlight plugin in enabled in my browser IE9 and the application works fine manually.

After recording part of the test flow on the application (eg. Home Page), I see values like "????????????d?6??{??M5?"}g??t" in "Form Post Parameter". I also see request for SL.Launcher.xap in the script. I have tried to run the Launcher URL independently on browser and it asks me to download/run the silverlight plugin. Not sure why this request is generated since the application works perfectly on my browser.

I have also tried to get the requests from Fiddler and then export them to visual studio. But even in Fiddler i see similar encoded/encrypted values in request + response body.

I need to get the plain text in the requests/responses. I am new to the tool and Silverlight. Kindly help me with this issue.

Thanks.

• Moved by Tina-Shi Friday, January 16, 2015 1:53 AM the issue is related to the web perfoemance test
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi som27som,

>>I have tried to run the Launcher URL independently on browser and it asks me to download/run the silverlight plugin.

Based on your issue, could you please tell me if you get same error messages when you are running the web performance test using web performance test recorder and fiddler?

If yes, please you check if you install the silverlight plugin successfully again or you re-download the silverlight plugin and then re-install it again.

In addition, I find that the most common example of browser plugins are Silverlight or Flash. The Web test recorder will record HTTP traffic from AJAX calls and from most (but not all) browser plugins. This means you will still be able to web performance test pages that use java script or plugin and play back the results. But the playback engine will not show the java script or plug in results in the ‘browser control’. If you want to test the page behaviour as a result of the java script or plug in consider using Coded UI Tests.

In addition, I’m afraid that this plug-in usage is out of support range of VS testing forum, to make this issue clearly, I suggest you post a discusstion here: http://teamtestplugins.codeplex.com/discussions.

If possible, I suggest you can try to install the VS2013 Update 4 check this issue again.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 16, 2015 3:04 AM
  • Hi Tina,

Thanks for the reply.

1) "Based on your issue, could you please tell me if you get same error messages when you are running the web performance test using web performance test recorder and fiddler?" Yes, it shows in both web performance test recorder and Fiddler. I have tried reinstalling the silverlight plugin but the issue persists.

2)  "If you want to test the page behaviour as a result of the java script or plug in consider using Coded UI Tests."  I am not sure how to use coded UI test for load testing the application. Will try to search for it.

The problem i face with the script is that i am not able to see parameters like login credentials for users / other input parameters being sent in the request as it is all encoded/encrypted.

Thanks for the codeplex forum. I have posted my issue there as well.

Friday, January 16, 2015 5:51 AM
  • Hi som27som,

Thanks for your reply.

>>The problem i face with the script is that i am not able to see parameters like login credentials for users / other input parameters being sent in the request as it is all encoded/encrypted.

About this issue, I suggest you can try to add Validation or Extraction Rules to validate if you can get the parameters in the request.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb385904(v=vs.110).aspx

In addition, I suggest you can try the following blog to debug the web performance test.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/slumley/archive/2007/04/10/how-to-debug-a-web-test.aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 19, 2015 10:37 AM