Unable to change Managed account password SharePoint 2013 using GUI and Powershell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are unable to change password for managed account in our farm using GUI as well as powershell. We are receiving the below error message.

Set-SPManagedAccount : The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later.

We tried flushing dns and changing the passsword with no luck.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Friday, August 19, 2016 3:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• What is the build number of your farm? There is a similar issue for 2016 - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/74272a57-2a06-4052-a6c4-20c92ed91490/sharepoint-2016-managed-accounts-automatic-password-change?forum=SP2016

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, August 19, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Configuration database version: 15.0.4719.1000
    Friday, August 19, 2016 4:07 PM
  • What are your domain controller's OSes and are they current (up to this month) with security patches?

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, August 19, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Hello,

It seems something is broken in your farm after this password update.

So, I suggest you to execute a configuration wizard and try again as a break fix

For anything related to SharePoint https://www.fiverr.com/rashu268

Sunday, August 21, 2016 3:22 AM
  • We have the same issues with our SharePoint 2013 farm. The configuration wizard did not help.
    In July it was working.

Any other ideas?

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:18 AM
  • Still looking into this, but it likely boils down to 'it's a bug'.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:01 PM
  • FYI I've opened Case #116090114617370 with Microsoft.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, September 1, 2016 5:03 PM
  • And here are the details of what is going on as well as a workaround:

https://thesharepointfarm.com/2016/09/ms16-101-prevents-sharepoint-from-changing-managed-account-passwords/

Trevor Seward

Thursday, September 1, 2016 6:55 PM
  • Perfect! Thanks!

I uninstalled the two updates only from the Sharepoint server hosting the central administration. Now the password change is working.

Thanks again!

Thursday, September 8, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Thank you Trevor !!
    Friday, September 9, 2016 12:46 PM
  • I also facing the same issue. I recently changed my Services account password which is used to run SP Search host controller and server search. If I try to change the password in the managed account getting an error  "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted". I tried with PowerShell too Same error result.

Friday, September 7, 2018 8:31 AM