none
New geotagging technology - comments please RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed a new geotagging technology called qCodes. Using only 6 alphanumeric characters, e.g. AB-23DF, I can geotag every address in the world. The system has been specifically designed for use with sat nav devices and smartphone mapping apps.

See: our-qcodes.com

I'm interested in partnering with Microsft, Google, Apple or Facebook to make this a new world-wide standard.

Does anyone in the forum know who are the best people to contact at the respective companies?

The system is simple and elegant at designed for the hardware and software we use today.

All comments welcome.

Saturday, January 5, 2013 6:31 PM

Answers

• In many countries you will find that postal codes do the same thing. If you are interested in partnering with Microsoft your best bet would be to go through Nokia as they are the primary data provider for Bing Maps (through Navteq which is owned by Nokia).

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:29 PM

All replies

• In many countries you will find that postal codes do the same thing. If you are interested in partnering with Microsoft your best bet would be to go through Nokia as they are the primary data provider for Bing Maps (through Navteq which is owned by Nokia).

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:29 PM
  • Hi.

As I'm sure you're aware, there are many existing systems that assign alphanumeric codes to encode locational information, including geohash, natural area codes, WOE IDs, and this Microsoft-owned patent. I'm unclear how your qCode service differs from these other services, or what exactly the benefit of partnering with you would be? As far as I'm aware, none of these other codes are usable on MS/Google/Apple maps - the only searchable entities are (WGS84) Latitude/Longitude, placenames, and postal address/postcodes.

While you could always seek to be "officially" supported as a method of location searching, my advice to you would first be to expose some standardised web services that provide qCode <-> Location lookup. This would enable developers to easily integrate your system into their own APIs. The next stage could then be to write a Bing Maps App that accessed those services to provide qcode lookup/reference within the Bing Maps environment. You can think of Bing Maps Apps as "plugins" - they execute on the bing.com server and provide additional functionality to all public users, but they are developed by third parties rather than by Microsoft. As an example, I wrote the Bing Maps App that lets you search the map based on GB National Grid coordinates rather than by Lat/Lon:

If you were to develop a similar Bing Maps App for qcodes, and it gets a lot of use, you could then use this as good evidence for why Microsoft/Apple/FB etc. might want to incorporate your system as a core part of their maps applications. Good Luck!

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/ | Pro Spatial with SQL Server 2012

Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:41 PM
  • Thanks you for your comment. The problem with post codes is that there are always many addresses per post code. In the UK it is about 16. In the USA it is about 3,500, France about 800. Thus using a post code does not get you to a unique address.

With qCodes you get a unique address. Each address had a unique qCode.

I will pursue the Nokia/Navteq path. Do you have any contact names there?

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Thank you for your comments.

What sets qCodes apart from the other methods you mentioned (of which I am very aware) is that qCodes are only 6 characters long. They are short, shorter, in some cases significantly shorter, than all the other methods. Shorter means more user friendly. It is really as simple as that.

In addition, the "Special qCodes" allow some very interesting and attractive capabilities.

In order for qCodes to become "officially supported" then I need to partner with a major player in this business, which is what I am in the process of now.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. And wish me luck!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Very interesting and informative points. qCodes were developed to be a "short-hand" way of entering address information into sat nav devices and related apps. Do you remember VCRPlus+ (USA name) or VideoPlus+ (UK and Ireland). They were a shorthand way of entering program info into video recorders. They did not replace the detailed program info (think lat/long or grid reference) they just made it easier for the USER to enter required information into the device (a video recorder).

The other methods that you mention create codes, but with qCodes I'm able to create a code using only 6 characters. All the others use longer character strings.

For qCodes to function there needs to be a master "dictionary" that lists all the qCodes and the lat/long of that point. This is a big job, but one done easily by major players such as Google, Microsoft, Navteq, Teleatlas. They already have all the "raw data."  the only thing that needs to be done is to assign a qCode to each address. qCodes are not assigned randomly, the are assigned in a specific way means that for most journeys the user only has to enter the last 4 characters of the code.

And yes, the qcodes would be an "app" that sits on top of the underlying address information/database.

As a demo of this to help people understand I'd like to have a DEMO app that allows user to enter a qCode and then places the location of that qCode on a map (Bing, Google, etc.). The list of qCodes for the demo would be limited of course. Buying the address info for a whole country is expensive as I'm sure you know.

I am not a programmer. Where do i find someone who can give me a rough idea of the cost of such an app. It would be somewhat similiar to the one you wrote for Bing maps but not as elaborate.

Any suggestions?

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:18 AM