WPF browser application : After Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• It is said that the wpf application is used  for vista application.
    Then  If i deploy the WPF browser application on to the server then it will work well on all the PC's where vista has not installed or the PC having the XP ?. IF my application is opened on that PC where  their is an XP then is it run or crashes ? or may get some bugs ?
    so what should I do ?
    Their is any another way creating Browser application
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Ritesh, some answers for you:

It is said that the wpf application is used  for vista application.

WPF is part of the .NET Framework 3.0 and greater.  As such applications built using WPF can run on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, and probably into the future.  Vista simply includes .NET 3.0 "out of the box".  Vista RTM has 3.0 RTM, Vista Sp1 has 3.0 Sp1, SP2 has 3.0 SP2. (but no 3.5 by default, this is installed separately)

Then  If i deploy the WPF browser application on to the server then it will work well on all the PC's where vista has not installed or the PC having the XP ?

Mostly...
    - For users with IE6 and no .NET, you can use the "Publish" page that is provided with Clickonce applications to prompt the user to download the framework when needed. (
    - If your users have IE 7.0 or greater, they will automatically be prompted to download and install .NET when they launch WPF content types (xbap, xaml, xps, .application).
    - Users of Windows Vista can run 3.0 WPF apps (including .xbaps) built against their matching service pack or earlier of .NET 3.0.  Launching an app with 3.5 dependencies will (SP1+) prompt the user to download and update to 3.5 SP1.
    - Users of Windows 7 have .NET 3.5 Sp1 installed by default, so can launch any existing v3.X WPF application by default.

IF my application is opened on that PC where  their is an XP then is it run or crashes ?

- This is mostly explained above.  So long as they have IE7 or IE8, they will be prompted to download ,NET 3.5 SP1, install it, and  then run the app.  If they try to run a .NET executable on a machine with no framework, an error message will be shown on the console or via messagebox.

Sure, there are lots of web-application technologies.  Silverlight allows you to use XAML but also run your content on non-Windows machines, same as AJAX, ASP.NET, Flash, etc.  WPF allows you an incredibly rich design environment and a robust feature set, in exchange for its non-trivial download size.  Since more and more machines will be running Vista or Win7 in the future, the installation issue becomes less important with time.

Hope this helps,
    Matt

SDET : Deployment/Hosting
    • Marked as answer by RITESH_SHINDE Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:49 AM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Thanks Matt

I am satisfied with these answers thank you very much.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Ritesh, some answers for you:

It is said that the wpf application is used  for vista application.

WPF is part of the .NET Framework 3.0 and greater.  As such applications built using WPF can run on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, and probably into the future.  Vista simply includes .NET 3.0 "out of the box".  Vista RTM has 3.0 RTM, Vista Sp1 has 3.0 Sp1, SP2 has 3.0 SP2. (but no 3.5 by default, this is installed separately)

Then  If i deploy the WPF browser application on to the server then it will work well on all the PC's where vista has not installed or the PC having the XP ?

Mostly...
    - For users with IE6 and no .NET, you can use the "Publish" page that is provided with Clickonce applications to prompt the user to download the framework when needed. (
    - If your users have IE 7.0 or greater, they will automatically be prompted to download and install .NET when they launch WPF content types (xbap, xaml, xps, .application).
    - Users of Windows Vista can run 3.0 WPF apps (including .xbaps) built against their matching service pack or earlier of .NET 3.0.  Launching an app with 3.5 dependencies will (SP1+) prompt the user to download and update to 3.5 SP1.
    - Users of Windows 7 have .NET 3.5 Sp1 installed by default, so can launch any existing v3.X WPF application by default.

IF my application is opened on that PC where  their is an XP then is it run or crashes ?

- This is mostly explained above.  So long as they have IE7 or IE8, they will be prompted to download ,NET 3.5 SP1, install it, and  then run the app.  If they try to run a .NET executable on a machine with no framework, an error message will be shown on the console or via messagebox.

Sure, there are lots of web-application technologies.  Silverlight allows you to use XAML but also run your content on non-Windows machines, same as AJAX, ASP.NET, Flash, etc.  WPF allows you an incredibly rich design environment and a robust feature set, in exchange for its non-trivial download size.  Since more and more machines will be running Vista or Win7 in the future, the installation issue becomes less important with time.

Hope this helps,
    Matt

SDET : Deployment/Hosting
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Thanks Matt

I am satisfied with these answers thank you very much.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:46 AM