Action Required email RRS feed

• Question

• I just received an email today about "Action Required: pubCenter changes required by Sept 12".  I can't be 100% sure this is a valid email since the only link on it to get more information just looks a little phishy.  Does anyone know if this email is really a legitimate email?  Here is what the main body of the email is:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Windows Phone application developer,

We wish to remind you that you will need to update your App ID and Categories on your PubCenter account by September 12, 2013. If you do not complete these updates by September 12, 2013, advertisements will no longer be served into your applications. More details regarding how to make these changes can find be found here. (removed the link here in case it is invalid)

These changes are intended to enhance the targeting functionality of the applications in Windows Phone store, which is part of our ongoing commitment to increase advertiser demand and grow revenue for our developers. Therefore, we urge you to complete these quick and easy changes as soon as possible.

Thank you-

Kiran Bangalore – Senior Program Manager Lead, Display Ads, Bing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't find anything on the pubCenter site that indicates I need to do anything so I appreciate any information that anyone can give me on this.

Friday, August 30, 2013 6:55 PM

Answers

• Yes - this is a real email from Microsoft pubCenter indicating that if you created ad-units prior to ad-unit restructuring in mid-June 2013, you need to switch them over to the new ad-units before September 12th.  Microsoft gave devs 3 months to switch to the new ad-units.  After September 12th, pubCenter will no longer serve ads to the old ad-units.

Monday, September 2, 2013 8:53 PM

All replies

• Yes - this is a real email from Microsoft pubCenter indicating that if you created ad-units prior to ad-unit restructuring in mid-June 2013, you need to switch them over to the new ad-units before September 12th.  Microsoft gave devs 3 months to switch to the new ad-units.  After September 12th, pubCenter will no longer serve ads to the old ad-units.

Monday, September 2, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Hi Dan,

As far I know only categories needs to updated in old ad unit, there is no need to create new ad units. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Regards

Sumit

Monday, September 2, 2013 11:25 PM
  • It was my understanding as well that only the categories needed to be updated.  If not, can you post the source that says otherwise as I missed it.

-Jeff

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Thanks all for the information.  I updated my category.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion - you don't need to create "new ad-units" if you already have ad-units created.  You just need to have them reference the "correct ad-unit name in the current ad-unit category tree structure".  And yes, I realize that sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

Many of the old ad-unit (sub)categories no longer exist in the new ad-unit structure and some changed to better match the dev-center app category structure.  As I understand it, internal to pubCenter, these ad-unit category names have associated IDs that are not shown to publishers (I call them pubCenter's underlying ad-unit category IDs or simply their "internal IDs").  As the ad-unit category tree structure has changed, so have these internal IDs (that's why I'm calling them "new"!).  Even if an ad-category name appears to be the same as before, its corresponding internal ID is different than before, and so devs must change their ad-units to reference the ad-unit categories with the new "internal IDs" because pubCenter will stop serving ads to the old "internal IDs" next Friday.  Get it?  Couldn't be simpler!  ;-)

Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Thanks for the information.  Yes I just updated my category.  It seemed that I was able to select 3 category/subcategories before but now it only lets me select 1 category.  But hopefully I have everything set up now.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:24 AM
  • After I did this to all of my apps (except for one discontinued one) my impressions and subsequently revenue dropped tremendously. Well, relative to the abysmally poor performance I've seen in the recent months after similar tremendous drops. @JMHaro, are you seeing the same things after your update?

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Microsoft seems causing unnecessary confusion and hassles on this issue asking developers to take USELESS actions while there is NO CHOICE for ads unit categories selection besides the category the app belongs to. MS could simply get rid of this ads category setting all together!

Saturday, September 7, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Silverdollar, I'm pretty new with this and this is my first application.  So far I haven't made anything off of it yet so I don't have anything to compare with.  But I appreciate the information.

Saturday, September 7, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Silverdollar, I have seen my income drop to 1/10 what it was a month or two ago.

Friday, September 13, 2013 7:08 AM