none
One more : 6: Invalid character in data element ". RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I searched for this error here and tested several of the replies and none worked for me.

I'm getting the following error in Biztalk 2010 for a X12 322 file :

Details: Error: 1 (Field level error)

SegmentID: V1

Position in TS: 7

Data Element ID: V102

Position in Segment: 2

Data Value: 

6: Invalid character in data element ".

The value in this field is "MSC FADO", so I guess it has to do with the space between the 2 words.

Every change I make in the configuration of the party , I always restart the host instance before trying again.

For this party, I already tried "Extended" and "UTF8/Unicode" in Interchange Settings -> Character set and separators -> Character set to be used under Agreement properties.

and checked Perform EDI Data Type Validation and Allow leading and trailing zeroes and spaces.

I already tested several combinations of these settings but I always get the same error.

Any Help?

Friday, July 8, 2011 9:44 AM

All replies

• Just wanted to check: Is MSC is the segment name in X12 322 implementation guide. This can also impact you EDI validations.
    Best Regards, Vishnu
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:24 AM
  • In the X12 322 format there is no segment with name MSC.

In this case the segment is V1:

V1*6643*MSC FADO**65A****L

Monday, July 11, 2011 11:13 AM
  • I have set EdiDataValidation to FALSE in the EdiSend Send Pipeline settings, in all send ports that have  the EdiSend as Send Pipeline, rebooted the Host Instance and then even rebooted the server and I still get the same message, the messages get suspended:

A message sent to adapter "FILE" on send port "Send Port X12 Conversion CP" with URI "C:\EDI\Stage60\%MessageID%.txt" is suspended. 

Error details: Unable to read the stream produced by the pipeline. 

Details: Error: 1 (Field level error)

SegmentID: V1

Position in TS: 7

Data Element ID: V102

Position in Segment: 2

Data Value: 

6: Invalid character in data element  

MessageId:  {A36B2BBD-3AC8-4680-B7E8-214913FAB24F}

InstanceID: {D33E29CB-30F7-4987-A475-10CAF30378C7}

This happens in all messages that have 2 or more words with spaces in between, in the V102 element, the ones with just one word are processed with success.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:43 PM
  • What is the data element type for V102 in the schema? I don't have access to the 322 schema myself right now or I would check.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Hello,

The type as it appears in VStudio is X12_AN (SimpleType).

Thanks.

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Try changing the data element type to xs:string. Had a similar case where the data element type we were using had additional validation in the schema that we were not aware of, and we had to override that and change it to a basic datatype.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:30 PM
  • I did as you asked and still get the same problem.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:59 AM
  • That blows my idea out of the water. Wish I could help more.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:09 AM