Why can't I deploy a web site to localhost using the same name as the project name RRS feed

• Question

• User1461399428 posted

Let's say you start a website in VS 2005 and you decide to call it FooBar.  For the location you choose filesystem. 

Now if you try to publish the site to http://localhost/FooBar.  You get the following error:

"You must choose a publish location that is not a sub-folder of the source web site."

In order for the publish to complete I had to use a location http://localhost/Test.

What is the reason for this?

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:18 PM

Answers

• User-233570146 posted

This prevents your build from overwriting anything in your development area - under projet propeties / msbuild options you have to pick a new
    directory.

For what you're doing, you'd normally set up the development project in ../Projects/ or wherever, then use your localhost/FooBar as the publish directory.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 10:35 AM

All replies

• User-233570146 posted

This prevents your build from overwriting anything in your development area - under projet propeties / msbuild options you have to pick a new
    directory.

For what you're doing, you'd normally set up the development project in ../Projects/ or wherever, then use your localhost/FooBar as the publish directory.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 10:35 AM
  • User-2017008401 posted

Hi gmaghera,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

After I did some research, I found it's a known issue. <o:p></o:p>

Sorry for the inconvenience this issue may bring to you, I believe it will be improved in the future. Thank you for choosing Microsoft's product.<o:p></o:p>

Friday, March 23, 2007 1:48 AM