SharePoint 2010 Cascading Drop down Item Limitation RRS feed

• Question

• What is the limit (maximum number of choices) in the parent and child items if I use managed metadata for cascading drop down?  Thanks
    Paul R. Klouda
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:55 PM

Answers

• If you are using a managed property, It has a different display control. If you only meant that you are using codeplex cascading drop down and you want to knkow  the limit etc, There is no limit to begin with. In general drop down controls should have few items like hundred or less. If you will try to populate a drop down with 1000 items, It will be slow to load. Please clarify about the control you are using and what you are anticipating about number of items in drop down etc.
    Moonis Tahir MVP, MCPD, MCSD.net, MCTS BizTalk 2006/SQL 2005/SharePoint Server 2007 (Dev & Config)
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:22 PM

All replies

• If you are using a managed property, It has a different display control. If you only meant that you are using codeplex cascading drop down and you want to knkow  the limit etc, There is no limit to begin with. In general drop down controls should have few items like hundred or less. If you will try to populate a drop down with 1000 items, It will be slow to load. Please clarify about the control you are using and what you are anticipating about number of items in drop down etc.
    Moonis Tahir MVP, MCPD, MCSD.net, MCTS BizTalk 2006/SQL 2005/SharePoint Server 2007 (Dev & Config)
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Thanks,

I'm not sure I understood your answer and associated question.  I eventually abandoned the cascaded drop down approach anyway.  Too difficult to use since you have to input all parent and child values in the lists y hand.  And the Look-up column type took forever to load since the parent had over 300 items and the child had over 350 items.  I ended up concatenating the parent and child which resulted in a column with over 900 unique values.  But When I decided use list validation, I was forced to use the Choice column type.  There is absolutely no lag time to see the drop down with the 900+ items, which was a pretty cool by-product!!!

I have a question regarding calculated field formulas for list level (more than one column) validation.  I will create a new thread for that question.

Thanks again!

Paul

Paul R. Klouda
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:49 AM