Custom shell with only one application RRS feed

• Question

• Dear friends,

I want to make custom shell which should run only one application (i.e my own program exe).

Can you tell me that with detail procedure.

Thank you.

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:16 AM

All replies

• Here follows an extract of a document I've been working on for a client that gives instruction of how to perform what you have asked but also discusses the draw backs of doing so on a domain member machine

1.1.1     Windows Shell

Replacing the default Windows “Shell” of the thin client device from Explorer.exe to wswc.exe (the View 4.5 Client program) was investigated however this presented the issue that once the user had logged of the virtual machine there was no visible method to logoff or shutdown the thin client device.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Shell - C:\Windows\Shell\view.vbs

Change Shell value from “explorer.exe” to a vbs script that calls wswc.exe (see below)

Logging off the thin client would have required the user to, unprompted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select log off.

1.1.2     Launching the View Client

The local policy of the Windows 7 thin client device was configure to run a VBS script to call a CMD file and launch the View 4,5 client. This method allows for the View client to be auto stated and should a user mistakenly close the program is will auto re-start within seconds.

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon

Run these programs at user login - Enabled "C:\Windows\Shell\view.vbs"

The setting was enabled and configured to run C:\Windwos\Shell\view.vbs

view.vbs script

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\Windows\Shell\view.cmd" & Chr(34), 0

Set WshShell = Nothing

As can be seen the view.vbs script calls the command file view.cmd

View.cmd

@echo off

:View

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin\wswc.exe"

goto View

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Thanks for your quickest response!!!!

But I wana do that with image configuration editor(ICE) and answer file.

So which kind of packages to be added in ICE  to start only my software exe.

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:07 PM
  • And next time, 1 Thread for 1 Issue.
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Hi Vinal, please take a look at the "Command Prompt Shell with Custom Shell Support" feature in ICE. This may be what you're looking for.

I see that your original post was back from January so I hope you were able to solve your issue but if not, maybe this is what you're looking for.

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:38 PM