none
Device Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fairly stripped down WES7 image.  I am trying to install USB drivers we have created internally.  I know they worked with a WES7 image that has everything installed.  I am trying to track down what I a missing.  I thought the Device Manager might help.  So, added mmc to the image.  I then try to get to the Device Manage as described here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754221%28WS.10%29.aspx#bkmk_Anchor2

But, I do not see Device Manager in the navigation pane.  2 questions

1) Any ideas on what I could be missing for a custom USB driver (yes, I know this is hard to know without knowing something about our driver)

2) What do I need to do to include the Device Manager in my image?

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:18 PM

Answers

• 1. Depends on the type of USB driver and how it was written. You might need to add Driver Frameworks. Support drivers found in a driver package could be missing. Did you run TAP.EXE on the full system to generate a PMQ to import into your answer file?

2. Device User Experience adds device manager. 

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    • Proposed as answer by KNARZ Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Scott_3 Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:45 PM

All replies

• 1. Depends on the type of USB driver and how it was written. You might need to add Driver Frameworks. Support drivers found in a driver package could be missing. Did you run TAP.EXE on the full system to generate a PMQ to import into your answer file?

2. Device User Experience adds device manager. 

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    • Proposed as answer by KNARZ Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Scott_3 Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Nothing i can add. ;)
    Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Thanks Sean.  Interesting idea with Tap.exe.  But, I have not yet gotten my drivers to work.  Can Tap figure out what is missing?

Scott

Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:21 PM
  • The drivers are not working? If the device drivers are not completed of finished with development, you need to do driver development work on Windows 7 or Windows 7 check build first before you do anything with WES7.

If the drivers are completed, but not working in WES7 small image, you must have something missing. TAP.EXE looks at the drivers install on a system and generates the list of drivers installed - PMQ file. The PMQ file can then import into the answer file and pull in the necessary driver packages. Pages 24-25, 98, and 413 of the book. 

Where the drivers written using a driver framework? If so you need to add the Driver Frameworks package.

-Sean

Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I got it working.  I am not 100% sure what I did.  I think it was the inclusion of Driver Frameworks package.  Thanks for your help.

We are now running a laser and camera from a WES7 image.  The device does Raman Spectroscopy: http://centice.com/products/recap.  Fun stuff.

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:19 PM