none
Problem checking in VSTO 2010 Project in TFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am developing an Excel Template under VSTO 2010. After having added the project to TFS Source Control, I encounter a problem with checking in my changes whenever I change something in the .xltx. The Message is:

The process cannot access the file 'C:\TFS-Roche.FA.Solution_Center_RnD\MPM\Kapla\Main\KaplaTemplate\KaplaBook.xltx' because it is being used by another process.

Is this a known problem? Or am I overlooking something I ought to know?
    Hoping that someone can help!

Georg

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hi GeorgU,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Your issue is a TFS issue, I will move your thread to that forum for better support.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:43 AM
  • Hi Tom

Thank you for your prompt reply.

In the meantime I have found out that the problem must be to do with an Excel instance that stays loaded when I end my debugging session - and that in turn has, I suspect, to do with uncaught errors that are silently ignored by VS. So it does not seem to be a TFS problem after all!

I have to investigate further and may post back when things are clearer.

Georg 

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hi Georg,

Thanks for your investigation. And please post back the solution here once you find it, it will be benefit to other community members who encountered the similar issue.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Hi Vicky

What happens is the following (nothing to to with either TFS or any debugging session):

1. I start Visual Studio and open my solution

2. I open the .xltx by doubleclicking one of the sheets: => Visual Studio creates an instance of Excel

3. This Excel instance does not go away when I close the .xltx; nor does it go away when I close Visual Studio

4. When I restart Visual Studio and load my solution, on trying to open the .xltx Visual Studio shows an message box saying 'The process cannot access the file because it is used by another process.' - I have to kill the orphaned Ecxel instance in order to be able to open and edit the .xltx.

To me this looks like a bug in Visual Studio - or am I the only one experiencing this problem?

Georg

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Hi Georg,

As your issue is more related to VSTO projects, I am moving your case back to the VSTO forum so that you can get better support.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Hi Georg,

As your issue is more related to VSTO projects, I am moving your case back to the VSTO forum so that you can get better support.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Can any one from the VSTO forum team suggest a answer to my problem?

Georg 

Monday, July 2, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Hi Georg

This might be a bit of a schlep, but you could try clean the solution before you try to check the file in.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

G

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:38 PM