Convert Microsoft Account to an Azure AD sourced account RRS feed

• Question

• I have several users in my active directory that already had a Microsoft account on their corporate email before I created an Azure AD. Among those is my email address on which the azure subscription is registered.

I'm having trouble upgrading my Azure AD to the basic version because I can't login using the business signin. That's why I'd like to convert my account in the Azure AD from a 'Microsoft account' to a 'Microsoft Azure Active Directory' account as listed in the 'Sourced from' column for users. Is this possible?

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:01 PM

Answers

• It was slightly confusing, I expected that I would be able to transfer ownership of a Microsoft Account to my Azure AD. After realizing that the only way was to create a new Azure AD managed account I managed it using the following these steps:

1. Create another administrator
    2. Remove Microsoft Account from Azure AD using that new administrator account (you can't remove yourself)
    3. Create a new Azure AD account for the same email address in AD
    4. Transfer Azure ownership to this new account within Azure AD
    5. Remove the azure administrator status of the old Microsoft Account, which automatically removed it from Azure AD

• Marked as answer by WouterSF Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:15 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi, 
    Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

You cannot convert a MSA account to an AAD account per se. What you can do is a tenant takeover and create an actual tenant i.e. company.onmicrosoft.com

Use an MSA Azure subscription
    If you have previously signed up for an Azure subscription with your individual Microsoft Account, you already have a tenant! When you log in to the Azure Portal, you will automatically be logged in to your default tenant. You are free to use this tenant as you see fit - but you may want to create an Organizational administrator account.+ 
    To do so, follow these steps. Alternatively, you may wish to create a new tenant and create an administrator in that tenant following a similar process.+ 
    1. Log into the Azure Portal with your individual account
    2. Navigate to the “Azure Active Directory” section of the portal (found in the left nav bar, under More Services)
    3. You should automatically be signed in to the "Default Directory", if not you can switch directories by clicking on your account name in the top right corner.
    4. From the Quick Tasks section, choose Add a user.
    5. In the Add User Form, provide the following details:
    Name: (choose an appropriate value)
    User name: (choose a user name for this administrator)
    Profile: (fill in the appropriate values for First name, Last name, Job title and Department)
    Role: Global Administrator
    6. When you have completed the Add User Form, and receive the temporary password for the new administrative user, be sure to record this password as you will need to login with this new user in order to change the password. You can also send the password directly to the user, using an alternative e-mail.
    7. Click on Create to create the new user.
    8. To change the temporary password, log into https://login.microsoftonline.com with this new user account and change the password when requested.

Reference : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/active-directory-howto-tenant#use-an-msa-azure-subscription

Please do reply to the thread as we are always available to your queries. 

Regards
    Vijisankar
    • Edited by vijisankar Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:00 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:52 AM
  • It was slightly confusing, I expected that I would be able to transfer ownership of a Microsoft Account to my Azure AD. After realizing that the only way was to create a new Azure AD managed account I managed it using the following these steps:

1. Create another administrator
    2. Remove Microsoft Account from Azure AD using that new administrator account (you can't remove yourself)
    3. Create a new Azure AD account for the same email address in AD
    4. Transfer Azure ownership to this new account within Azure AD
    5. Remove the azure administrator status of the old Microsoft Account, which automatically removed it from Azure AD

• Marked as answer by WouterSF Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:15 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:15 PM