Rules changed for Apps running via shortcut in "Windows\Startup"?? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seeing very odd behavior between two HTC phones, same exact code.  The older, a WM6.1 HTC Touch Cruise, the newer is an HTC Touch HD , also WM 6.1.

I load an app using a signed CAB, which also puts a shortcut to the app in the "Windows\Startup" folder so it auto runs when the device reboots.  No problem on the Touch Cruise.  On the Touch HD, the app starts, runs for a bit, then dies, about the time all the touch-flow stuff is loaded.  I actually put a couple of sleep statements in the code so it wouldn't start doing anything for a minute after it's launched, but no luck.

If I go to file manager on the Touch HD and launch the app via the shortcut, no problems at all.  Runs forever.  Is this some kind of permissions thing?  Some weird ordering problem with how startup shortcut apps are run?

Any/all help is appreciated while I still have a little hair left to pull out!

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:06 PM

Answers

• OK, I'm going to call this a bug and hang it on HTC - or maybe Microsoft ;-)

From what I can tell, the shortcuts in the \Windows\startup directory are getting executed (launched) before the device is actually ready for them. 

My way around this was to put the shortcut in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Init registry area.  In there you can specify what other apps or services must be loaded before your own loads.   This is currently done by a hex code assigned to each key value.  My big worry is that these "arbitrary" hex values will vary from platform to platform.  For those interested, here's a link to how to create those entries:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms901773.aspx

Hope this helps others in the same boat.  Do I get credit for answering my own question?

• Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, May 7, 2010 8:54 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:03 PM