CMS and 3-tier Architecture RRS feed

• Question

• User358700284 posted

Hi !, How to implement 3-Tier ? What is the difference between 3-Layer and 3-Tier architecture. I have to develope an CMS where there will be 2 server one is staging and other one is live server for this I have to use 3-Tier Architecture.I have implemented 3-Layer architecture. Also I am planning to use LINQ for the first time.So please anyone can guide me how can I proceed for this ? I will be really very thankful for this. Regards Santosh Mali

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:19 AM

Answers

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:18 AM
  • User-1244254729 posted

Hi svmali,

Most people forget the difference between a tier and a layer.

3-layer design of software is a method of logicaly structuring your code. You can have a 1-tier application designed with 3-layers. Because it's deployed on one tier(physical).

Therefore 1-tier of a 3-tier solution can exists upon 3 layers itself whereas the ui(interface) is a webservice forinstance.
    When design multi-tier solutions beware of the performance hit because of latency you may encounter, it's only when you design a large scale solution over multiple responsibility domains that a multi-tier solution works best.
    Or when you enterprise application needs rest/verification points to further process.

When you make sure that the application can easily scale out(not up), it's only a financial issue to support more users and faster throughput. Even intensive calculation based web-application can render pages under 50ms with a standard server, supporting 1000+ users.

Friday, January 29, 2010 2:49 PM

All replies

• User-419902300 posted

3 layer is a logical grouping or to put it a better way, 'how you organise your code'. Whereas 3-Tier is a phyical grouping.

(3 Layer) Logical could be:

• UIL
    • BL
    • DAL

- Possibly on the same server.

Whereas;

(3 Tier) physical grouping could be:

• Desktop PC
    • Windows Server
    • Database Server

- Each tier is seperated normally as is the case above by a network.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:39 AM
  • User358700284 posted

dagma20 thanks for reply but it does not solve my query.

Please anybody there guide me through the best suitable procedure for my application. 

Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:17 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:18 AM
  • User-1244254729 posted

Hi svmali,

Most people forget the difference between a tier and a layer.

3-layer design of software is a method of logicaly structuring your code. You can have a 1-tier application designed with 3-layers. Because it's deployed on one tier(physical).

Therefore 1-tier of a 3-tier solution can exists upon 3 layers itself whereas the ui(interface) is a webservice forinstance.
    When design multi-tier solutions beware of the performance hit because of latency you may encounter, it's only when you design a large scale solution over multiple responsibility domains that a multi-tier solution works best.
    Or when you enterprise application needs rest/verification points to further process.

When you make sure that the application can easily scale out(not up), it's only a financial issue to support more users and faster throughput. Even intensive calculation based web-application can render pages under 50ms with a standard server, supporting 1000+ users.

Friday, January 29, 2010 2:49 PM