Windows App Certification Failed, but error is empty

Question

• I am running the Windows App Certification Kit (with all tests) and most of them fail. However, they are coming back with a blank response on the error. Even the sections that shouldn't even apply to my application fail. It looks like this:

Debug configuration test
    FAILED
    Debug configuration
    • Error Found: The debug configuration test detected the following errors:
    • Impact if not fixed: Windows Store doesn’t allow a debug version of an app.
    • How to fix: Please make sure the app isn’t linking to any debug versions of a framework, and it is built with release configuration. If this is a managed app please make sure you have installed the correct version of .NET framework.

File encoding test
    FAILED
    UTF-8 file encoding
    • Error Found: The UTF-8 file encoding test detected the following errors:
    • Impact if not fixed: HTML, CSS, and JavaScript files must be encoded in UTF-8 form with a corresponding byte-order mark (BOM) in order to benefit from bytecode caching and to avoid other runtime error conditions.
    • How to fix: Open the affected file, and select "Save As..." option from the File menu in Visual Studio. Select the drop-down control next to the Save button and select "Save with Encoding”... option. From the Advanced save options dialog, choose the "Unicode (UTF-8 with signature)" option and click the OK button.

App Capabilities test
    FAILED
    Special use capabilities
    • Error Found: The app has declared the following special use capabilities:
    • Impact if not fixed: If you don’t have a company account with the Windows Store, you won’t be able to upload this app. If you do have a company account, you’ll be required to provide justification during the submission process to support using this capability.
    • How to fix: Special use capabilities are intended for very specific scenarios. Only company accounts are allowed to use these capabilities. In addition, use of these capabilities is highly restricted and subject to additional Windows Store onboarding policy and review. Consider removing the special use capability if your app doesn’t require it. 
      App Special use capabilities

Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue with the tester?

I'm running it from Visual Studio 2013, on Windows 8.1, and on a Windows 8.1 Application.

Thanks for the help.

• Moved by Roberts_E Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:37 PM
    Monday, October 21, 2013 9:58 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply. We actually found out that this release of 8.1 that my computer is running isn't supported by anything. So we placed a new install of 8.1 in a VM and ran the test and it passed with flying colors. 

Thanks again.

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:27 PM

All replies

• Do you get better results if you run the WACK outside of Visual Studio?

How about if you target different apps?

You can (and should) turn off any tests which don't apply to your app.

--Rob

Friday, October 25, 2013 12:43 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the reply. We actually found out that this release of 8.1 that my computer is running isn't supported by anything. So we placed a new install of 8.1 in a VM and ran the test and it passed with flying colors. 

Thanks again.

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:27 PM