How to get all rows in datagrid when RowVirtualization is set to true? RRS feed

• Question

• My datagrid has RowVirtualization enabled for better peformence. But when I need the items list in the datagrid I get all in the middle and end as empty. Only the rows that are loaded into datagrid are not empty. I have tried setting the RowVirtualization to false while I get the items list but that did not help. Please advice...
    • Edited by GaiusBaltar Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:32 AM

Answers

• I would write a method that takes an observablecollection and a collection of columns and returns a datatable.

Use reflection on the first row of the collection to work out the type.

• Marked as answer by Sheldon _Xiao Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Hi GaiusBaltar,

If you enable the RowVirtualization, you could not get all rows from your DataGrid, however, you could get all row from your DataSource, or view(DataGrid.ItemSource).

best regards,

Sheldon _Xiao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:41 AM

All replies

• Your datagrid is presumably bound to a collection.

I would recommend working with that collection rather than rows in the datagrid.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Yes, my datagrid is bound to a collection but I have a function GetDataTableFromDataGrid(DataGrid myDatagrid) that returns datatable from datagrid. It works but I only get the full DataTable if row virtualization is false.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Why would you get a datatable from the grid when you could get it from the underlying collection?

Or... just use a datatable for everything and obviate the collection.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Because in the DataGrid user can edit, hide&show columns, re-arange columns and so on. My function returns DataTable from datagrid exacly as the columns are arranged and shown.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:12 AM
  • You can use the columns collection of the datagrid to capture what the user has done.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Then for each usercontrol that has DataGrid I have to make a function that returns DataTable from datagrid using columns collection and item collection (itemsssource). Thats a lot of work. I allready have one unique function that return DataTable from any DataGrid. Only row viritualization messes everything up
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:59 AM
  • I would write a method that takes an observablecollection and a collection of columns and returns a datatable.

Use reflection on the first row of the collection to work out the type.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Hi GaiusBaltar,

If you enable the RowVirtualization, you could not get all rows from your DataGrid, however, you could get all row from your DataSource, or view(DataGrid.ItemSource).

best regards,

Sheldon _Xiao[MSFT]
    Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Hi GaiusBaltar,

I am marking your issue as "Answered", if you have new findings about your issue, please let me know.

Best regards,

Sheldon _Xiao[MSFT]
    Microsoft

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:56 AM