Silly Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a quick question. I have a computer that uses a wireless connection in our office while the other computers use our wired network. The computer that uses wireless is on the same Domain, however, none of the other computers can see it. I cannot access any network resources on the wireless computer, and cannot access the shared drive of the wireless computer from an of our wired computers. When i try to add the shared drive i get the windows error network path is invalid. Is this problem due to it being on the wireless and not an ethernet connection?

Thanks
    Monday, September 21, 2009 10:32 PM

All replies

• I don't believe the problem has anything to do with the fact that it's Wireless. I share folders from my wireless laptop.

You could use Network Monitor to take a trace while trying to access this wireless machine and see what happens.  Perhaps the name isn't getting resolved correctly which might mean the wireless machine is not registering properly.  Can you ping the name of the wireless laptop?  That might be a good first step to verify you can even see the laptop on the network.

Paul

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:18 PM
  • yes. i am able to ping the wireless computer, but when i set up a shared network path to that computer, i receive the error that the network path is invalid
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:28 PM
  • I would get a network trace of both a working an failing connection and compare.  Once you get a trace, we can try to help on the forums, though obvoiusly it might be difficult with out sharing the capture.  But I would start by fitlering on the IP of each client and looking for differences.

Friday, September 25, 2009 5:41 PM