UI Customization RRS feed

• Question

• User1043796333 posted
    1. The Dynamic Data default skin looks kind of poor so I was wondering if there are ways to give it a better look and feel in the end-user UI
    2. Some of my screens looks cluttered with so many columns so I was thinking if there is a custom control or a way which would allow me to give a better look to the front-end user UI

Please don't answer me telling me to hide columns because that is not what I want and besides: I know how to do that and my question doesn't go that way, at all

What I'm saying here is not achievable by means of UIHint because all my remaining columns (I have already discarded the ones I wnat to hide) must be displayed

But if there were a way of customizing your default screens for each entity (kind of WYSIWYG) based on Metadata info then you could drag and drop your fields and labels freely around your container so the UI look much professional and prettier

Does something like this exist at all?

Monday, September 5, 2011 1:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• User1043796333 posted

P.S.: What I'm saying is that I'd like to maintain Dynamic data functionality but WYSIWYGing the UI nor do I want to customize every single page in its code behind, just the user interfase

So, I'd like to "puzzle" my GridView all over the screen but still being the same GridView that I had before

Is that crazy?

Monday, September 5, 2011 2:23 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

The thing is that if you display as many columns as you have defined in your MetaData file then you must scroll all the way right to see the content but then you won't see what was in the left side. Same goes for going down

I need 4 screens to see my whole screen

Monday, September 5, 2011 2:49 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Topolov, you can customise the layout using CSS, after DD is just web forums with templates as for customising layout have a look at my article here Custom Entity Templates – Dynamic Data 4

Monday, September 5, 2011 6:49 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

Maybe I'm more willing to give you guys an idea than really getting an answer

So the thing could be:

What if the people in charge of developing asp.net dynamic data give us a CustomizableGridView CustomizableChildView control that works like this:

You open your CustomizableGridView CustomizableChildView having as its datasource all fields available in its MetaData file definition less the ones you might have hide in your partial metdata buddy classes (because you don't neeed the others)

Then you drag and drop your labels and columns in the most openly desirable way for you in a WYSIWYG like canvas inside the control

You wouldn't need to make a change in your code behind but just in your UI

That way you could have an additional file, e.g.: Products.ascx.lyt (extension name just made up by me) file that would be loaded when an instance of the Products entity is being used at run time by Dynamic Data

Wouldn't it be wonderful?

Monday, September 5, 2011 7:03 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

Oooops. But there is a drawback: my idea works just fine for Details pages, That's why I changed CustomizableGridView to CustomizableChildView

For GridView with many columns we could hve a SplitGridView control which splits the gridview in as many instances needed as to keep your data within the current windows without having to scroll

So you can have linked split gridviews showing all your data vertically rather than horizontally

Would that work at all?

What if I use a code generation tool? The will create a single layout page for every entity I mav in my database. How can I make those UIs work in my damic data appication?

I just need to add up the UI skeletons to my DD application not the code generated by CodeSmith or NetMaker or whatever else other code generator software might be

Monday, September 5, 2011 7:16 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

I just let my mind flow away

Sorry for that

Monday, September 5, 2011 7:24 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

I think the big issue is always Grids they donlt maake customisation very easy you can easily make the customizable child view now if it's a child details you want remember you can page the Details/FormView by using a child page with a paged FormView using EntityTemplates see my very old post here

these are based on the old Details page byt you could substiture the FormView code and have what you want.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:56 AM