Installing Microsoft Robotics Studio R2 Express/Standard after Visual Studio 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I have the problem of having installed Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio after Visual Studio 2005 was installed. I am not an admin, so I cannot change this.  Is there a work around to have Visual Studio recognize and supply the DSS Service I need to create a service for microsoft robotics?  If not, can you provide a summary of the files needed to get started. I am looking at the book ProMRDS (and of course, am in a position where I cannot install the examples from the book) and see the basis of a service, but would like to see a summary if I could. Thanks@
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:39 PM

Answers

• If you installed RDS you must have had Admin access at the time. Also, if you installed after Visual Studio then you should see DSS Service in the Robotics folder when you try to create a new project in C#. However, even without the Visual Studio Template/Wizard you can still create a new service using the DssNewService command line tool from a DSS Command Prompt. (Look in the Start Menu to open a DSS Command Prompt).

You should not need Admin access to set up the ProMRDS samples. They are supplied in a ZIP file and you just have to compile them. If you cannot unzip into the RDS installation folder then you probably can't use RDS anyway. I can only imagine this happening if you log in as a different user from the person who installed RDS.

Trevor

Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:13 PM