none
VBA Project OTM file RRS feed

• Question

• I once wrote a set of VBA code that would automatically extract attachments to a selected file path on a network.

I was able to do a lot within the context of that VBA environment. The only problem of course was that each Outlook user needed to have that OTM file installed on their desktop.

If I want to build-out a custom outlook app with custom forms and custom fields, where do these reside ?

Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• All macro modules, Classes and UserForms designed in the VBA editor are stored in the .otm file.  Custom Outlook forms are different (from the Ribbon: Developer -> Design This Form), as the form definition and VB Script are published either to an Outlook folder, the user's Personal Forms Library or the Organization Forms Library.

The best approach to designing an Outlook solution is to build a COM Add-in and deploy the solution with a Windows Installer package.  You can also use the new web add-in framework for Outlook 2013+ with Office 365/Exchange 2013+, which are essentially web pages designed with HTML5, JavaScript and CSS.  Those are deployed either to the Office Store or via a manifest file that points to your web application.

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook)
    Co-author, Microsoft Office 2013 Professional Step-By-Step

Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for that Eric....

I agree the COM Add-in approach is the best, but I'm strong in VBA and not so strong C# dot-net.

My client is using Outlook 2010 on a LAN....so I guess the 2013 web add-in is out of the picture.

One thing I'll need is some way to customize the Ribbon in Outlook 2010.....I've done extensive work with the Ribbon in Access. I wonder if the Outlook object model supports the Ribbon in a similar manner to Access ?

Thursday, June 9, 2016 10:38 PM
  • All Ribbon customizations need to be done with an add-in, unless you customize it manually (which is only possible with 2013+).  Note that you can build an add-in using VB.Net.  For an easy way of building them you can also take a look at Add-in Express.

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook)
    Try MessageFiler for Outlook!

• Marked as answer by Syswizard Friday, June 10, 2016 1:56 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 11:00 PM