help itz urgent: Application need to run withinternet/without internet RRS feed

• Question

• User1793726729 posted

Hi...

I have deploved a business application which is running in hosting.... today i got a requirment from my boss tht if the internet fall/down in our location for some 2 to 5 days... how can i access my application coz daily they are making lots of transaction in his organisation... so i need idea to get out from this problem....

Thnx in advance....

very urgent help me

Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:38 AM

Answers

• User-1846245394 posted

Hi there, 

here is a link that may help you http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1438231/Setting-Up-Merge-Replication-A-Step-by-step-Guide.htm

before you setup replication you  have to decide what needs to be merged replication and what needs to be snapshot replication. typically I  would use snapshot replication for  static tables  and merge replication for actual data tables (e.g. sales orders)

one thing that I found while doing it is that  using auto incrementing integers as  primary keys in the data tables is a bit awkward  I found that I had to change these to uniqueidentifiers 

it will be best that both the sql database in house and the hosted sql database sit behind static ip addresses. the replication doesnt like using IP addresses as names for sql databases so you will have to setup aliases for the IP addresses 

to get yourself familar with replication I'd  practice with  dummy databases  on the same server, then I'd  move one of the db's onto the hosted server.

hope this helps 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 3:04 PM

All replies

• User-966687016 posted

Hi,

one option is to create local server with your application. but if internet fall, nobody could connect to system from outter networ, but people from your network could connect.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:30 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

If the entire 'Internet' connection goes down then you are going to need a back up connection for any of the applications to be accessible.  For example, if AT&T is the primary and because of local construction the line gets cut accidentally, you are going to need a secondary provider to get back up and running.  Most infrastructure teams take care of this end of things making sure there are redundant connections to the internet available.

Now if you meant if the single server goes down, then you may want to look into a web farm environment using load balancing, so if an individual server in the farm goes down the other servers can take over.  This ensures high availability for these situations, but again this is typically a Networking team responsibility.  If you are concerned with an entire site going down, then most businesses need a back up site to get up and running; usually a disaster recovery site from weather, power outages, etc.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:07 PM
  • User-1846245394 posted

first and foremost,  your hosting provider should be providing you with a service where the internet wont be down for that long. if they cannot guarantee that then it might be an idea to look elsewhere

as a backup plan, 

you could use sql replication to keep a local  copy of the database in sync with the hosted copy of the database

or 

have a means of  sending your backup files  to your local server from the hosted account 

Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:40 PM
  • User1793726729 posted

Thanx For ur reply...

Would u plz let me know step by step how to configure replicatrion... to my hosting database and local database... once internet fall it work in local after internet connection cam bck the two database will update...

Friday, April 9, 2010 9:59 AM
  • User-1846245394 posted

Hi there, 

here is a link that may help you http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/1438231/Setting-Up-Merge-Replication-A-Step-by-step-Guide.htm

before you setup replication you  have to decide what needs to be merged replication and what needs to be snapshot replication. typically I  would use snapshot replication for  static tables  and merge replication for actual data tables (e.g. sales orders)

one thing that I found while doing it is that  using auto incrementing integers as  primary keys in the data tables is a bit awkward  I found that I had to change these to uniqueidentifiers 

it will be best that both the sql database in house and the hosted sql database sit behind static ip addresses. the replication doesnt like using IP addresses as names for sql databases so you will have to setup aliases for the IP addresses 

to get yourself familar with replication I'd  practice with  dummy databases  on the same server, then I'd  move one of the db's onto the hosted server.

hope this helps 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 3:04 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

For in depth support questions on SQL Server replication you may also want to check out the following TechNet forum:

SQL Server Replication Forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreplication/threads

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:56 AM