Which one is better Xamarin iOS designer or Xcode ? RRS feed

• Question

• User177158 posted

Hello All,
    I am new to Xamarin.iOS development and I have been using Xamarin.Mac for almost 3 years now. For Mac I have used Xcode for creating UIs, in iOS we have two options :
    -iOS designer
    -Xcode Interface Builder
    Which is the preferred or recommended way to create UIs for iOS in Xamarin OR it is just matter of choice? Will I miss anything if I use Xcode instead of iOS designer as I am pretty comfortable with Xcode ?
    Anyone sharing their experiences will be great. Thanks a ton in advance.
    -Prerana

Monday, December 7, 2015 4:34 AM

Answers

• User38547 posted

My opinion:

Use XCode if you prefer stability and having all the features. Or use Xamarin if you want to help the team improving Xamarin Studio. I find the Xamarin iOS designer to be a clone of XCode with some missing subfeatures and the usual crashes.

The pro of using Xamarin Studio's designer is that you avoid the "lock Xamarin Studio", "Open XCode", "Save", "Unlock Xamarin Studio" slow pattern. And Xamarin Studio iOS designer is pretty quick.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2015 7:55 PM

All replies

• User38547 posted

My opinion:

Use XCode if you prefer stability and having all the features. Or use Xamarin if you want to help the team improving Xamarin Studio. I find the Xamarin iOS designer to be a clone of XCode with some missing subfeatures and the usual crashes.

The pro of using Xamarin Studio's designer is that you avoid the "lock Xamarin Studio", "Open XCode", "Save", "Unlock Xamarin Studio" slow pattern. And Xamarin Studio iOS designer is pretty quick.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2015 7:55 PM
  • User177158 posted

Thanks @LeonPelletier.2633 for the response, it helped to clear the confusion :smile: Since I have been using the Xamarin Studio + Xcode combination for quite a some time now I am ok with the slow pattern. Though I will definitely give iOS designer a try in between but Xcode will be my first choice for development.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:39 AM