none
Can I rename ThisAddIn class to something else? RRS feed

• Question

• I think I should be able to raname ThisAddIn class but not sure if I could. Can someone tell me the answer?

TIA

kr

• Edited by Khalique Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Khalique

I really don't think you should. It's been a while since I've seen a quesiton like this and the product group no longer monitors the forum. However...

You must remember that you're working with a specific set of tools:  the VSTO technology. This relies on certain things being the way they are within a VSTO project. Those things are at a proprietary level you cannot access. And if something in there relies on the ThisAddin class being present, you could end up in big trouble. Unless you're prepared to do thorough testing, I'd leave it alone.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Khalique Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:36 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:09 PM

All replies

• i think so, but remember that you must change all references to ThisAddin class, in Designer.xml and Designer.cs files also. Then rebuild solution and check if manifest file got updated property (entrypoint element)
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Thanks Damian.

That is why I asked the question. You know I am a lazy person and didn't want to go through the whole exercise of changing it and verifying if it worked. I was looking for a yes/no answer.

kr

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 3:11 PM
  • yes, you can
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Hi Khalique

I really don't think you should. It's been a while since I've seen a quesiton like this and the product group no longer monitors the forum. However...

You must remember that you're working with a specific set of tools:  the VSTO technology. This relies on certain things being the way they are within a VSTO project. Those things are at a proprietary level you cannot access. And if something in there relies on the ThisAddin class being present, you could end up in big trouble. Unless you're prepared to do thorough testing, I'd leave it alone.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Ok, I got the idea. I will leave it like that and not change its name.

Thanks Cindy.

• Unmarked as answer by Khalique Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:36 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:35 PM