My frist windows mobile app RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,
    I want to create an application in c# for my windows mobile 6 xda orbit ii. I want the application to
    be able to display 3 images downloaded from a website.I do not want to use internet explorer then manualy navigate to the images i want the application to be able to display the 3 images in a window on the home screen
    with a refresh button very similar to how spb weather works.
    The images are  ocean swell charts height, period and wind.
    Im a complete beginner so just enquiring what technologies would best suit this project.

http://www.corksurf.com/index.jsp?listId=5

thanks guys appreciate all help.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:43 PM

Answers

•  

If you are a complete beginner to C# and programming then this will be a challenging first project.  But it sounds like you are trying to create a custom today screen.  You may want to see a post that was made by Chunsheng Tang - MSFT.

You don't want to do this in C#. To quote his response to the same question:

Chunsheng Tang - MSFT wrote:

The following article explains how a home/today screen plug-in works, so it should give you some guidance when developing a plug-in:

Architectures of the Today Screen Plug-in and the Home Screen Plug-in

The following entry on MSDN library describes in details how to create a today screen plug-in.  

Custom Today Screen Items

There are also some samples available; for example, the following is included in the WM5/6 SDK samples:

Create a Custom Home Screen

I need to mention that you can hardly develop managed plug-ins (e.g. via C#); in other words, the plug-ins need to be native.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:44 PM

All replies

•  

If you are a complete beginner to C# and programming then this will be a challenging first project.  But it sounds like you are trying to create a custom today screen.  You may want to see a post that was made by Chunsheng Tang - MSFT.

You don't want to do this in C#. To quote his response to the same question:

Chunsheng Tang - MSFT wrote:

The following article explains how a home/today screen plug-in works, so it should give you some guidance when developing a plug-in:

Architectures of the Today Screen Plug-in and the Home Screen Plug-in

The following entry on MSDN library describes in details how to create a today screen plug-in.  

Custom Today Screen Items

There are also some samples available; for example, the following is included in the WM5/6 SDK samples:

Create a Custom Home Screen

I need to mention that you can hardly develop managed plug-ins (e.g. via C#); in other words, the plug-ins need to be native.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Very good thanks for the tips.
    Can I do this with visual studio express?
    What SDK do I need I have a smartphone.windows mobile 6
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 7:41 PM
  •  

If you are developing for a device that has a touch screen then you need the "Windows Mobile 6 Professional" SDK.  If your device does not have a touch screen you need the "Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK."  The expression version of Visual Studio will not be able to meet your needs.   You need at least Visual Studio 2005 Standard.

If Visual Studio is outside of your reach then download the .Net Compact Framework SDK, The Smart Device SDKs, and a copy of SharpDevelop as an editor ( http://sharpdevelop.net ).  I don't know the details of setting up SharpDevelop to work with a smartphone but it can be done.  The details on on their site.

Visual Studio .Net 2003 Supports .Net Compact Framework 1.0 for Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003
    Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or Better .Net 1.0 and .Net 2.0 from Windows Mobile 2003 to Windows Mobile 6
    Visual Studio 2008 Professional Net 2.0 and 3.5 from Windows Mobile 5 to Windows Mobile 6

Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:01 PM