SQL server synchronisation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using a sql server database for storing gps data from a remote location. The average data stored in the db is around 2 GB/day. For security reasons, my application is working on another server which has  same  db. I need  to update data in the second database within an interval of 2 seconds. The user entry in the application server has to be synchronised with first server also. Is replication is possible in such a small interval?. Anybody have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Kuttan
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:52 AM

Answers

• In Replication there would be latency , recommend testing , it depends on the usage of data on the second server , explore Peer - Peer Replication.

Vishal

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi

Its on windows 2003 server. The servers are placed in same ip range. The main server is  connected  through  VPN. The second server is in local intranet

Thanks
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

Are you going to access the secondary database if not you can use database mirroring. Can you specify which edition of SQL you are working with??
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:32 PM
  • SQL Server 2005
    Monday, April 14, 2008 8:03 AM
  • Hello Kuttan Welcome to MSD?N forums Smile

In database mirroring the mirrored database will be in restoring state and hence it cannot be accessed. If thats fine you can go for database mirroring. Please refer these links for configuring the same,
    http://sql-articles.com/index.php?page=articles/dbmrr.htm
    There is a white paper on database mirroring which will help you understand better. Refer the below link for the same,
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/dbmirror.mspx
    If you have enterprise edition you can create database snapshot to access the mirrored database.

- Deepak
    Monday, April 14, 2008 1:18 PM
  • In Replication there would be latency , recommend testing , it depends on the usage of data on the second server , explore Peer - Peer Replication.

Vishal

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:48 PM