none
IE developer tools when developping excel task pane apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I developed a nice excel task pane web app for one of my clients, and decided to use kendoui as a widget source... Which kind of works great.

The problem is, I am running into css positioning problems, and i haven't found a way to examine the dom and everything.

Ideally, I would fire up the IE 11 developer tools (i am on Windows 8.1 RTM) and debug away, but how do i invoke it from the excel task pane ?

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Tuath,

As far as I know, we are not able to use IE developer tools in Office to examine DOM. Since office app is also a normal web application, I recommend you debugging it in IE 11.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi Tauth, you certainly can use the DOM explorer built into Visual Studio (which is effectively the F12 tools, only in VS).

If you're using VS 2012, you need to manually open the DOM explorer.  See tip #4 (bottom of page) on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/officeapps/archive/2013/04/16/building-great-looking-apps-for-office-using-the-new-project-templates.aspx

If you're using VS 2013 RC, the DOM explorer should pop up automatically, and also provide an enhanced debugging experience.  Note, though, that VS 2013's DOM explorer requires IE 11 on the machine.

Hope this helps,

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Tuath,

As far as I know, we are not able to use IE developer tools in Office to examine DOM. Since office app is also a normal web application, I recommend you debugging it in IE 11.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Well, this is only usefull if you don`t require any javascript to run, which means no interactions with excel or any interaction for initializing controls (i.e. i use KendoUI which requires initalizing each control).

I have seen a mocking Framework which basically is a .js file that implements the office.js api in a browser way, but it hasn`t been updated in a while...

If Microsoft is serious about this kind of application, we will need to be able to debug adequatly which means debugging network transfers, css and javascript...

Erik.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Hi Tauth, you certainly can use the DOM explorer built into Visual Studio (which is effectively the F12 tools, only in VS).

If you're using VS 2012, you need to manually open the DOM explorer.  See tip #4 (bottom of page) on http://blogs.msdn.com/b/officeapps/archive/2013/04/16/building-great-looking-apps-for-office-using-the-new-project-templates.aspx

If you're using VS 2013 RC, the DOM explorer should pop up automatically, and also provide an enhanced debugging experience.  Note, though, that VS 2013's DOM explorer requires IE 11 on the machine.

Hope this helps,

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:50 PM