none
New ROG Laptop with : Detects depth and color stream latency RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a problem. I ve just bought a new Asus Rog GL752VW for Kinect development with Unity.

It is a brand new laptop with a gaming power so a Nvida760m and i7 processor

My problem started after I installed Kinect SDK V2 and I looked at SDK Configuration Verifier there was a 6 fps  and "Detects depth and color stream latency "

As you may see the usb3.0 controller is Intel .

I use to have another Asus an I7 but an older generation and everything was all right even if it as the same question mark at USB 3.0 controller. The frame rate was 30 fps.

What seems to be the problem or there is any solution?

Should I send it back to Asus...? What should I tell them? 

Monday, February 20, 2017 5:27 PM

All replies

• For starters, check the troubleshooting thread.

Also, do you have any other greedy devices on the same usb controller as the Kinect?

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:04 PM
  • Yes, I have Check the troubleshooting.

I have 1 usb3.0 and an usb-C  and 2 Usb2.0. I have used the usb3.0 for Kinect and usb2.0 for Mouse.

I removed the mouse and the frame rate goes up to 15-20 fps maximum.

But any other suggestion or solutions?

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:12 PM
  • If your laptop contains both an Intel and NVidia GPU make sure your app is using the faster NVidia GPU instead of the Intel one. Usually you specify this (overall or per app) in the NVIdia drivers.

Brekel

Monday, February 20, 2017 11:24 PM
  • Yes, Kinect uses NVidia GPU.

The problem is at USB3.0 or I think?

Any solution, does anyone had this situation?

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Just a thought, USB3 suffers from interference if you have other 2.4GHz devices operating nearby http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html My wireless mouse really doesnt like being near the Kinect's port. 

Maybe your wireless 2.4Ghz chip is close to the USB ports (try turning wireless radio off) or do you run the laptop close to a microwave oven :)

• Edited by Phil Noonan Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:45 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:41 AM
  • Just a thought, USB3 suffers from interference if you have other 2.4GHz devices operating nearby http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html My wireless mouse really doesnt like being near the Kinect's port. 

Maybe your wireless 2.4Ghz chip is close to the USB ports (try turning wireless radio off) or do you run the laptop close to a microwave oven :)

Didn't expect it to have an impact. Cables should be fairly insulated. I think this should be a sticky. Or part of the troubleshooting perhaps?!
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Thanks, but is no improvement still 16 fps to 20 fps there is something that I should ask on Asus Forum?

How can I find out what is wrong is a gaming Laptop.

Any other suggestion?

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:50 PM
  • You could try the libfreenect2 backend, it doesnt take too long to install, if you dont mind cmake. https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect2 It potentially would give you a bit more of a detailed log from what the computer is getting from the sensor. Failing that, I would look at whether the ROG family has any issues with high bandwidth USB3 devices, like external hard drives.  
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:24 PM