How to find duplicate IP entry in large network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have more than 1000 systems in my environment. All machines are having static IPs. Now I got an IP conflict in one my server. I'm not sure which machine is using that IP and i'm not able to find the which machine has using the same IP. How to find this duplicate entry of IP?

Please help me to solve this.

Loganathan S

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I don't know the hostname to ping. If I know host name directly I can go there and change the IP.

2. I have more than 60 different domains in that network. So I'm unable to connect the event viewer using the same IP from cross domain. I don't know exactly which domain machine is using that IP.

Is there any tools avail?

Loganathan S

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:04 PM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:54 AM
  • ping the ip to get the hostname :

eg.

ping -a 192.168.1.1 -t

You'll get hostname in response. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:03 AM
  • Run the ARP -a" command and locate the address in conflict. With this mac search the Switch(s) for the Mac and get the physical port where it is connected.

Then follow the network cable until you get to the host. If you don't have time to follow the cable, just disable the offending port from the switch and wait for the user to call.

Systems Center Operations Manager will record and store MAC addresses.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:11 AM

All replies

• Few options :

1. If you're aware of host names, Ping it and get the name.

2. Go to event manager and connect it to the IP you want to locate. From event logs you can get the user ID that's logged in. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I don't know the hostname to ping. If I know host name directly I can go there and change the IP.

2. I have more than 60 different domains in that network. So I'm unable to connect the event viewer using the same IP from cross domain. I don't know exactly which domain machine is using that IP.

Is there any tools avail?

Loganathan S

Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:54 AM
  • ping the ip to get the hostname :

eg.

ping -a 192.168.1.1 -t

You'll get hostname in response. 

Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:03 AM
  • Run the ARP -a" command and locate the address in conflict. With this mac search the Switch(s) for the Mac and get the physical port where it is connected.

Then follow the network cable until you get to the host. If you don't have time to follow the cable, just disable the offending port from the switch and wait for the user to call.

Systems Center Operations Manager will record and store MAC addresses.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:11 AM