none
logging into the TFS server to submit bugs from within SDL tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
      I'm running VSTS 2008 on my computer.  When I load the team stuff it asks me to log in, at which point I log in to that server.  But with this tool, I cannot seem to log into the TFS server.  I tried "log in as administrator" but this obviously only logged me in as the admin on my machine.  This is a problem when I go to create a bug.  Am I misunderstanding the use of the bug system?  I think it would be cool to create the bugs directly into my bug tracking system on TFS.  I loved the video with Adam saying we should keep all of our bugs in a bug tracking system, and I agree with that very much.  Do I need to run this tool on that machine to put them into that store?  Please forgive my struggle with permissions issues, but I've bounced this off both my brilliant network engineer and my brilliant developer and they were not able to help.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm loath to give up so soon.
    Thanks!  And thanks too for the cool tool.
    J.  Quinn
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:17 PM Forum Consolidate (From:Microsoft Security Development Lifecycle (SDL) - Threat Modeling)
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:00 PM

Answers

• I don't quite follow your question.  Could you be more precise?  What are you doing, in what tool?  What do you expect to have happen, and what happens?

The manual also covers filing bugs (You can find the manual by going to the help menu, selecting external help.  That will bring up a web page, the manual is the first link.  This is copied from page 25:)

Submitting Bugs To Your Bug Tracking System

Use the following steps to submit a bug directly from the Analysis screen. Depending on how your tool is set up, you may have the option to download a template pre-populated with defaults.

Note: The bug tracking system supports Team Foundation Server out of the box.  It can be customized with templates and plugins.  (For information on creating a template, see the Appendix 1. Bug Tracking Integration.)

1. Click the Add Bug button.
      The Bug Tracking Settings window will display.

Figure 20. Bug Tracking Settings Screen

2.      Select the Bug Tracking System for which the tool is set up.

3.      Enter the Bug Tracking URI. (Example: http://bugs.contoso.com:8080.)

1. If a template has been supplied for your tool and you wish to use it:

1. Check Use template.
        The template will display.
      2. Use the templates fields and options as required to create and submit your bug.

2. If a template has not been supplied, perform the following steps:

1. Fill in the Product and Tree Path fields as defined in your system.
      2. Fill in the How found and Issue type fields as prescribed for your system.
      3. If you create an extra field, you can delete it by pressing the delete key.
      4. Click OK to submit the bug.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Yep, sounds like it. To my understanding, if you can properly authenticate and access TFS from the machine you are at, SDLTM should work fine. It's not doing anything magical... it is just running over top of the TFS client to communicate.

If you need some help with the perm issue, you might want to ask in the TFS forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsgeneral/.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    Monday, April 6, 2009 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hey J. Quinn,

I unfortunatley have no experience in using SDLTM with TFS, as we use another bug tracking system here (FogBugz). I will ping this up to Adam and see if I can get you a response.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:55 PM
  • I don't quite follow your question.  Could you be more precise?  What are you doing, in what tool?  What do you expect to have happen, and what happens?

The manual also covers filing bugs (You can find the manual by going to the help menu, selecting external help.  That will bring up a web page, the manual is the first link.  This is copied from page 25:)

Submitting Bugs To Your Bug Tracking System

Use the following steps to submit a bug directly from the Analysis screen. Depending on how your tool is set up, you may have the option to download a template pre-populated with defaults.

Note: The bug tracking system supports Team Foundation Server out of the box.  It can be customized with templates and plugins.  (For information on creating a template, see the Appendix 1. Bug Tracking Integration.)

1. Click the Add Bug button.
      The Bug Tracking Settings window will display.

Figure 20. Bug Tracking Settings Screen

2.      Select the Bug Tracking System for which the tool is set up.

3.      Enter the Bug Tracking URI. (Example: http://bugs.contoso.com:8080.)

1. If a template has been supplied for your tool and you wish to use it:

1. Check Use template.
        The template will display.
      2. Use the templates fields and options as required to create and submit your bug.

2. If a template has not been supplied, perform the following steps:

1. Fill in the Product and Tree Path fields as defined in your system.
      2. Fill in the How found and Issue type fields as prescribed for your system.
      3. If you create an extra field, you can delete it by pressing the delete key.
      4. Click OK to submit the bug.

Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Hello,

I'm trying to do exactly what is described in this article... http://pohsze.com/tag/team-foundation-server-2008/  - but rather than getting "Settings validated successfully", I get " You are not authorized to access [myserverip]"  This looks like a permission problem.  I think this a problem only I can solve at this point.

Thanks!

Jenny
    Monday, April 6, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Yep, sounds like it. To my understanding, if you can properly authenticate and access TFS from the machine you are at, SDLTM should work fine. It's not doing anything magical... it is just running over top of the TFS client to communicate.

If you need some help with the perm issue, you might want to ask in the TFS forum at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsgeneral/.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    Monday, April 6, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Dana,
      ...one would think, but I'm able to hit the services on TFS via a browser and also using visual studio so I'm perplexed...  I'll check out the forum you recommend.  Thanks!
    Jenny
    Monday, April 6, 2009 4:04 PM
  • I don't think saying something like "It should work fine" provides any information to us. You could say we felt the same way, which is why a few of us have come to this forum looking for answers. I can't launch SDLTM with the necessary external account, nor does it prompt me like Visual Studio does when it tries to contact my TFS server. I use TFS all the time from this computer, both for posting files and for managing backlogs, but cannot post a bug to complete my threat model.

Any ideas of how to bridge this gap?

Norman

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:23 PM