none
Changing navigation buttons and page namesfrom Front Page RRS feed

• Question

• I created my web site in Front Page 2002. At the top of my index page are link buttons to other pages. I need to change what one of these buttons say, and also the name of the page at the top of the linked page. I looked in BEFORE POSTING and couldn't find an answer to my problem.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you are using link buttons you will have to edit the buttons in FrontPage. The navigation bots aren't editable in Expression Web.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:01 PM
  • I'm new at this. I opened a page and all the pages and pictures show up in the folders list. At the top of the page what used to be navigation buttons now only show up as text. If I do a control click ittakes me to the proper page. However there is no style to it and the name ofthe page does not show up in the proper size or color. If I doubnle click on what was a navigation button the "link bar properties" boxcomes up. I assume I should be changing it, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm afraid to publish until I get everything looking right. Can you help?
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:37 PM
  • You may want to take a look at http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/dd326841 , for people transitioning from FrontPage.  A couple things relate to earlier versions of EW, but the general guidelines apply.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:56 PM
  • They were working fine on my other user account. I wonder if the link bar properties would help. Any suggestions?
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:25 PM
  • What version of EW are you using?

Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:22 PM
  • The term "link bar properties"only brings back result pages for FrontPage and SharePoint Designer, and nothing for EW. Entering the term into the Help search for either EW2 or EW4 returns nothing whatsoever. Reading a few of the returns for FP indicates that this feature relies upon (a) Shared Borders, and (b) Navigation View. The first will cause pages to blow up in EW4, the second isn't supported, at all, in any version of EW.

There is a very limited subset of FP-specific features still supported in EW for creation and editing. Some features are gone altogether, such as Navigation View and, as of v.4, Shared Borders. Others are tolerated if they exist in a page, but cannot be added or modified. Some few can still be created and modified. This isn't one of them, at least, not in EW.

As Kathy noted, you haven't mentioned the version you're using. Is it even EW? If it is SharePoint Designer (basically, EW1 with FP features intact), then you'll need to ask on an SPD forum. We don't work with that, and know little about it other than the fact of its existence. [EDIT: Belay that. I see from your profile that you are using EW3.]

This part of your question is troubling: "I assume I should be changing it, but I don't know what to do with it." The short answer is, you can't. Not in EW. Those features are no longer supported for editing. IIRC, everything associated with FP navigation revolved around the Navigation View, and that no longer exists, nor, as mentioned, do Shared Borders, another component of the navigation feature.

You may not want to hear this, but you should probably be moving away from FP-style navigation anyway, if you intend for your site to appear to have been built in this millennium. That up-down hierarchical navigation was clumsy and not user-friendly, and is ill-suited for today's Web, where someone may (and indeed hopefully will) enter your site on any page from a search result, not just the home, or "start" page, and may wish to go to any other page from any point in the structure. It's been over a decade since I abandoned FP, but I recall even then eschewing the use of its navigation features in favor of "the hot new technology, DHTML menus." They had their own issues, of course, not least of which were the diverging opinions between Netscape and Microsoft on browser default font size, the DOM, and javascript implementations. Still, they were flexible, usable, and attractive.

Anyway, I digress. The point is, if you're going to use EW, I sincerely recommend that you check out the expectations at Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web. It is time to move on from FrontPage if you're going to use EW, and that means learning new methods and techniques. Otherwise, you might as well just stick with FP, because EW was not designed to support its features, nor to produce the crappy deprecated markup it produced. Sorry, but that truly is just the way it is, and the sooner you accept it and move on, the better for you.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:44 PM
  • In EW1 you could still edit the properties of FP Linkbars.  I have no idea about later versions of EW.  But you couldn't add new links, put them on new pages, etc. unless you were interesting in hand editing all the FP-created bits supporting it.

(From the FP to EW white paper from MS:  "You can still edit the properties of an existing FrontPage Link Bar—including style, page levels to display, and orientation")

Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:21 AM
  • I suppose so, if that white paper says so, although it does seem to confirm that creation of new items is not in the list, just editing of certain properties of existing items. I never used EW1, but I do know that the subject of link bar properties doesn't come up in the search of Help on the subject in EW2 and EW4, and I've never encountered anywhere in the interface where that is possible.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Expression Web 3

Service pack 1

version 3.0.3813.0

I don't understand since my site was working fine until I moved it. I don't have Front Page any longer and I'm a npvice at this and can't spend the time designing this from scratch.

Help!

Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:27 PM
  • What do you mean by "moved it"?

You can try creating a new local site and setting your exisiting site as the publishing destination then publish DOWN from your hosted site to get a clean copy of your current site. See if that gives you what you expect to see but you cannot edit or add link bar navigation in EW 3.

You can edit them in SharePoint Designer 2007 which is free and can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21581 however you'd be better off replacing them with standard website navigation in a DWT or include file there are tutorials for css navigation in the tutorials section of http://by-expression.com

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Expression Web 3
    Service pack 1
    version 3.0.3813.0

I don't understand since my site was working fine until I moved it. I don't have Front Page any longer and I'm a npvice at this and can't spend the time designing this from scratch.

Help!

Could you find the time if you had no choice?

Sorry, not to sound flip, but that is pretty much the situation you find yourself in. No matter how much we might want to help, it is beyond the power of any of us to return to EW editing capabilities that it simply no longer has, and hasn't had since I started using it with EW2. Navigation View and FP-style editing of navigation features such as Link Bars are gone, period, and there is nothing we can do about that.

If your FP navigation is working as is, fine. If it is not, or if you need/want to modify it, you are out of luck, because editing and creation are no longer supported in EW. All the help that we might be able to give you will not change that fact.

Your best move at this point is to go ahead and bite the bullet, learn something about how things are done in the modern Web, and leave FP-specific features behind you. They are increasingly outmoded, the technology for creating and editing them has gone the way of the winds, and there is no future in continuing to try to maintain them. See the tutorials at Cheryl's site, and if you need multi-level navigation, see especially the Project VII tutorial on the CSS Express dropdown menu that Cheryl has modified to work with EW.

Now appears to the be time to make a move. You gain nothing by putting it off...

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:36 PM
  • "I don't understand since my site was working fine until I moved it."

I can only assume that you didn't move it correctly and completely (missing styles imply that) if things that used to work with the same version of EW that you are using now used to work.  If you are using navbars, shared borders, etc, there are a lot of files in an FP site beyond just the html pages.

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:13 AM