Open Outlook click on mail ID RRS feed

• Question

• I have a people and group field, which I am showing in Dataview as an email ID.

1. My task is when any body clicks it should open MS Outlook which we usually do as "MailTO:....". Suggestions.

2. Once displaying the mail ID I don't want to display the Online status of that user which looks report very ugly. Suggestions?

Regards, Surya
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Surya,

You can create a new column with format as Hyperlink and construct the mailto hyperlink, you can download the mailto template from SPXSLT Codeplex project mentioned by Marc in the previous post article comments.

New mailto column should be like this format,

<td class="ms-vb">
    <xsl:variable name="Email" select="substring-before(substring-after(@EmailID, &quot;sip='&quot;), &quot;' id=&quot;)" />
    <a href="mailto:{$Email}"><xsl:value-of select="$Email" /></a>
    </td>

The presence icon shouldn't be display in data view web part.

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Surya,

Did you mean the Online statuse is presence icon ? There is a "Send Email" item in icon menu you can use that to send email.

If you want to disable the presence icon, you can disable "Person Name Smart Tag and Presence Settings" for a web application via  CA >Application Management >Web Application General Settings, then all the presence icon will disappear.

The email ID (rich text)  in Dataview webpart include many things, if you want to change it to the mailto hyperlink in dataview webpart, you can check the following article making Created by as example,

https://www.nothingbutsharepoint.com/sites/eusp/Pages/sharepoint-mailto-hyperlink-in-a-dvwp.aspx

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    Friday, November 11, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the Mesg. I can't disable through out the app. I need to disable in the Data View Web Part only.

Regards, Surya
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Hi Surya,

You can create a new column with format as Hyperlink and construct the mailto hyperlink, you can download the mailto template from SPXSLT Codeplex project mentioned by Marc in the previous post article comments.

New mailto column should be like this format,

<td class="ms-vb">
    <xsl:variable name="Email" select="substring-before(substring-after(@EmailID, &quot;sip='&quot;), &quot;' id=&quot;)" />
    <a href="mailto:{$Email}"><xsl:value-of select="$Email" /></a>
    </td>

The presence icon shouldn't be display in data view web part.

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:16 AM