Can we replace Visual Basic Power Packs 10 with Power Packs 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Visual Basic Power Packs 10 and now I would like to install and replace it with Power Pack 3 in my computer.  Can I do that?

The reason for me to do that is for testing whethere my application can run in .Net Framework 2.0 with Power Pack 3.

I have developed a VB.net application (with Visual Basic 2010 Express) that has referencce with Power Packs 10 and compiled with .Net Framework 4.0.

Now I compile it with .Net Framework 2.0, and I would like it to be tested with Power Packs 3.  This is the reason for my question.

TS Lim

Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:24 AM

Answers

• Hi TS Lim,

Will you code face the exception depends on the methods you used in application whether changed in different versions of Power Packs. You can test it, but I will suggest you to avoid doing that. The formal way is add the Power Packs 10 into your application as well when you ClickOnce your application Or just create two “versions” for different Power Packs.

Hope this helps.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by TS Lim Monday, August 13, 2012 3:21 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi TS lim,

Thanks for you post.

>>I have installed Visual Basic Power Packs 10 and now I would like to install and replace it with Power Pack 3 in my computer.  Can I do that?

You don’t need to replace, just install the Visual Basic Power Packs 3 (Visual Basic Power Packs 10 keep the same). If you want to use the controls in Power Packs 3, you need to add it to the toolbox. Right click on the toolbox -> Choose Items… ->controls in right version.

Hope this helps.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Hi Mark,

I got it. Thanks for the answer.

I have another question related to this. If I compile my VB.net app (from VB 2010 express) with .Net Framework 2, and my Powerpacks is ver 10, if this app is run on another computer with .Net Framework 2 and Powerpack 3, will the user face error?

TS Lim

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Hi TS Lim,

Will you code face the exception depends on the methods you used in application whether changed in different versions of Power Packs. You can test it, but I will suggest you to avoid doing that. The formal way is add the Power Packs 10 into your application as well when you ClickOnce your application Or just create two “versions” for different Power Packs.

Hope this helps.

Mark Liu-lxf [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by TS Lim Monday, August 13, 2012 3:21 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Thanks Mark.

TS Lim

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:55 AM