none
Notifications on failed availability tests RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is our use case, we have configured several Application Insights resources with multiple availability tests for different URLs inside each AI resource and need to configure Alerts and mainly notifications (e-mail and slack for the moment) for it.

From what I have tested when, for example, URL1 fails on AI_1 it will send a notification, but as long as that alert is active, when URL2 on AI_1 fails, it doesn't send another notification. I'm not an expert on AI or Azure Monitoring and so am still trying to figure out if this is expected behaviour or if there is any way of the alerts handling the failures and notifications in a different way.

On top of that, is there any way to customize the e-mail sent (body and subject) and have it include variables refering to the test for example?

Thanks all

Friday, July 5, 2019 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hello OuTMonit,

Thanks for reaching out!

What you have is an interesting observation regarding alert notifications and I'm going to dig further and check if that's the case indeed.

Going further, I'd like to let you know that customizing the generic email body and subject for alert notifications is not supported as of today, except for those configured on Custom Log Search. You could go and upvote the User voice suggestion open to drive this enhancement.

That said, have you explored the Webhooks approach available with Azure Monitor? I'm sure that can help you work around the requirement until it is available as an out of the box feature.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:45 PM
  • Hello OuTMonit,

I tested out the scenario you described and noticed that I did get alert notifications for the two failed availability tests when both of my resources were down.

Are you still seeing it happen consistently though? Also, could you please elaborate the steps you followed as part of the experiment.

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:34 PM
  • Hello OuTMonit,

Just following up to check if you have any update here?

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Hi OuTMonit,

Let us know if there is anything else related to this thread that we can assist you with, else please feel free to mark and close this out if any of the above responses have been of help! Thanks again for reaching out!

Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

I have now figured it does send one for each test so my question is answered.

The problem is that I have a logic app executed as an action when an alert is generated and the variable for the test name, so that I can send it in the email body on the logic app, does not exist, only the overall name of the Application insights resource.

If i configure one for each test the name of the test is there.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:39 PM
  • Glad to hear, thanks again for reaching out!
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:44 PM