none
Field Validation in Outlook 2010 Custom Form RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I have been searching around trying to find an answer but without any luck so far.

I'm running Outlook 2010 with a custom appointment form and it has been running smoothly for years.

However am getting sick of whacking users over the knuckles for entering stupid stuff in some of the fields.

I'm creating a validation formula and can't get it to work when the possible values for some fields depend on the values of other fields.

If I want the subject filed to always be numeric.  easy..... I just put this in validation formula for that field.

isnumeric([Subject])=True

This works no problem.  However if I want to allow anything in this field if the appointment is an all day event I'd expect this to work.

isnumeric([Subject])=True or [All Day Event] = True

I also have a custom filed named "My Custom Field"  for example I want to include that in the test as well.  This is a radio

button which contains the value "Y" when selected.

So my solution is

isnumeric([Subject])=True or [All Day Event] = True or [My Custom Field] = "Y"

I want this to return true  (valid) if any of the conditions are true.

In outlook the data is accepted as valid even if none of the conditions are met.

Any ideas what is going wrong here?

Thanks in Advance

David

Friday, October 4, 2013 7:46 AM

Answers

• Stop Looking I Found it!

There was nothing wrong with my formula, the problem was in my mind ;)

I had assumed that the validation was performed when the user leaves the field being validated.

It is performed when the form is saved.

So it all works perfectly.  Amazing what a weekend off can do.

David

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:36 AM