none
ReportViewer will not install. RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed VB Express Edition 2008. I also installed VS Web Developers 2008 Express Edition. I opened them both, rebooted...so everything was working. Then I tried to install ReportViewer and I get an error that says the installation failed because VS Web Developer is not installed...

It is installed...what should I do to install ReportViewer?

Thanks,
    Fulano
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:01 AM

Answers

• The ReportViewer add on is only for Visual Web Developer Express. If you open VWD you should see the ReportViewer in the toolbox there. We do not have an add on for any other express SKU.

However, the add on ships with both the web and winforms version of the viewer. You can right click the VB Express toolbox, select Add Item, and navigate to the assembly. It should be at %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ReportViewer. That might not be quite correct, I don't have a VWD install handy to check, but that is close.

Keep in mind this is not a supported figuration and so you're pretty much doing it at your risk, but generally it should be fine.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Matt E Greer Saturday, July 25, 2009 12:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr_Fulano Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:37 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Fulano,

Are you trying to install this file? This is the correct setup for the VWD 2008 add on
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b67b9445-c206-4ff7-8716-a8129370fa1d&DisplayLang=en

You need to have service pack 1 for VWD installed. That may be the issue. If you don't have SP1 install that first and try again, you can get that here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

If you are still having problems, can you run the installer, and after it fails you should find a couple log files in your %TEMP% directory. If you send them to me I can help you, it's possible you have found a bug in our installer.

To get the log files:
    1) run the installer completely
    2) open up an explorer window, and set %TEMP% as your location
    3) Find any files with "Microsoft Report Viewer Add-on for Visual Web Developer 2008" in their name
    4) send me those files at magreer(at)microsoft(dot)com

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Hi Matt, I installed the RV from the first link you provided and that seemed to install completely. I say seems, because when I open VB 2008 and try to add the ReportViewer to one of my Forms, I can't find the control anywhere. Its not under any of the Tool sections to include ALL Tools. Is there something else I need to do to load it?

BTW, I have SP1 on both VB 2008 and VWD 2008.

Thanks,
    Fulano
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:25 AM
  • The ReportViewer add on is only for Visual Web Developer Express. If you open VWD you should see the ReportViewer in the toolbox there. We do not have an add on for any other express SKU.

However, the add on ships with both the web and winforms version of the viewer. You can right click the VB Express toolbox, select Add Item, and navigate to the assembly. It should be at %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\VWDExpress\ReportViewer. That might not be quite correct, I don't have a VWD install handy to check, but that is close.

Keep in mind this is not a supported figuration and so you're pretty much doing it at your risk, but generally it should be fine.

• Proposed as answer by Matt E Greer Saturday, July 25, 2009 12:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr_Fulano Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:37 AM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:24 PM