New to dynamic data framework- need help :) RRS feed

• Question

• User2000779856 posted

Hey,
    I have been working with asp.net for over a year, never had anyone teach me anything since I am the only programmer here. I like to learn from tutorials as thats the easiest way for me to understand things.

I have created the minimum things required. I have the whole framework setup.so I can view each table and its relationship with other tables. My few questions are

1) I want to divide the website into frontend and backend. Front end where people can visit see the new products, contact the client and all that jazz. Backend where the client can login and add/edit contents of the table? How do I go about it? How do I seperate these two?

2) I have a table which contains path to the images for the products. How do i change that page to something where you upload an image. But the images goes into the directory and the path goes to the table?

I just need help starting off. Primarily I have made similar websites without using the framework but I wanted to expand mu knoweldge and test a new thing out.

earlier websites I had an admin folder where all the admin pages would go. Now I am confused, I just dont know where to start.

Thanks

Monday, June 27, 2011 5:41 PM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

Hi Guru87, Dynamic Data is just web forms so you can easily have all your from end as standard web forms pages and then use DD for your admin stuff. However to secure DD you will need to look at something like my Securing Dynamic Data 4 (Replay)The other alternative is develop two sites one as the fromt end and the other admin.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:08 AM

All replies

• User1043796333 posted

Hey,
    I have been working with asp.net for over a year, never had anyone teach me anything since I am the only programmer here. I like to learn from tutorials as thats the easiest way for me to understand things.

I have created the minimum things required. I have the whole framework setup.so I can view each table and its relationship with other tables. My few questions are

1) I want to divide the website into frontend and backend. Front end where people can visit see the new products, contact the client and all that jazz. Backend where the client can login and add/edit contents of the table? How do I go about it? How do I seperate these two?

2) I have a table which contains path to the images for the products. How do i change that page to something where you upload an image. But the images goes into the directory and the path goes to the table?

I just need help starting off. Primarily I have made similar websites without using the framework but I wanted to expand mu knoweldge and test a new thing out. Earlier websites I had an admin folder where all the admin pages would go. Now I am confused, I just dont know where to start.

Thanks

I'm going to share my experience with you: If I were in your position then I'd rather go with conventional ASP.Net rather than Dynamic Data

There's so much still unresolved and the learning curve slope is almost a vertical hyperbola when it comes to writing real pieces of code

I'm not saying by any means that Dynamic Data doesn't worthwhile, on the contrary but still what I'm saying is true

You're very welcome to join our community but for sure it is going to take you a lot of time and effort to do what you want

Yes, I know we all come here because of the first 5 happiest moments of our life: having an application written in less than 5 minutes BUT that's just a dream

Those 5 incommensurable moments of pleasure are worth 5% of your development, at most 

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:16 PM
  • User2000779856 posted

Well I have time to finish the project and I am more than down to start from scratach. But I still want to learn and hone my skills. So any ideas on what to read? or where to look for more info would be awesome? or even how to start?

Thanks appreciate your help

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:28 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

C# Bits NotAClue will be your Dynamic's Data Xanadu

Monday, June 27, 2011 6:39 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Guru87, Dynamic Data is just web forms so you can easily have all your from end as standard web forms pages and then use DD for your admin stuff. However to secure DD you will need to look at something like my Securing Dynamic Data 4 (Replay)The other alternative is develop two sites one as the fromt end and the other admin.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:08 AM