none
install outlook 2013 .vsto file for a different user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a sample outlook addon, that will execute below steps when a new mail arrives.
    a) Read a config file (example: "Hello")
    b) sent an email back with read text.

I need to deploy the VSTO for a different user outlook account(Example: Test service Account).
    From my desktop
    When i open visual studio with run as different user(Test service account)build the application and press F5.
    Outlook is opened,addon is successfully added, above mentioned step a) and b) perfectly works fine.
    Every time i change the config file i need to build and press F5 to get the latest config value working.

Now i need to install this using some command, instead of using Visual studio F5.

How can i acheived this ?
    I tried using VSTOinstaller, but it is not working and very inconsitent.

If i create an MSI, how can i do it.
    Also i need to ensure that whenever user changes config file, installed MSI should read the latest configurations dynamically.

Can you please help me in this regard.

Thanks,
    Anil kumar

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:05 AM

Answers

• >>Now i need to install this using some command, instead of using Visual studio F5.How can i acheived this ? I tried using VSTOinstaller, but it is not working and very inconsitent.<<

Do you mean you want to deploy the Office solution? If I understand correctly, You can destribute the Office solution by Clickonce or using Windows Installer.

Or do you mean you want to use VSTO installer in the command line?

By default, VSTOInstaller.exe is installed in the following location:%commonprogramfiles%\microsoft shared\VSTO\10.0\VSTOInstaller.exe

Alternatively, you can use the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4\InstallerPath or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4\InstallerPath registry key to find the path to VSTOInstaller.exe.

If so, you can refer to command below and replace the path and file, save it to a bat file.

c:\
    cd %commonprogramfiles%\microsoft shared\VSTO\10.0\
    VSTOInstaller.exe /i <path\filename>.vsto 
    pause

And what’s the meaning of “not working and very inconsistent”?

Or you just want to get the latest config settings. How did you get the config settings?

As far as I know, if you get the config settings by ConfigurationManager.AppSettings, it will get the value from cache. You can get the latest config settings by code below:

System.Configuration.Configuration config = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(ConfigurationUserLevel.None);
      MessageBox.Show(config.AppSettings.Settings["Name"].Value);

BTW, when you run the project through Visual Studio with debug mode, the really config file is at the bin/debug/ folder and its name is same with the project like below:

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 15, 2013 12:17 PM