ADPlus.exe does not intall with the Debugging Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to monitor our application executable to record a crash dump. Usually I would install the debugging tools only, then run our application, and then run the adplus -crash... command on our application executable.

However, every time I install the debugging tools from teh Windows 8 SDK - it does not install the adplus.exe and other files for the debugging tools.

Sometimes it does install them and sometimtes it does not.  I am seeing this on windows 7 and Vista.  is there a different version I should isntall if it is 64-bit?

Am I not installing it correctly?  On an XP machine, i do th same steps and it installs teh adplus.exe and other files so I can run the crash dump. But on the Windows 7 and Vista - it does not install the adplus and other files.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463009?

joe@calyxsoftware.com is my email

Friday, April 6, 2012 10:56 PM

Answers

• Yea, unfortunately, that utility is no longer conveniently installed by the SDK. You actually need to install the SDK and then go to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Redist\Debugging Tools for Windows" and install the msi that corresponds to your processor architecture (usually dbg_amd64.msi nowadays). After doing that you should have adplus.exe installed under "C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)".

I was trying to get adplus.exe to figure out why the print spooler on our print server is crashing (why can't they just make the event id's more verbose?!).  

Hope this helps señor.

• Proposed as answer by Go Aways Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doron Holan [MSFT] Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:19 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:48 PM

All replies

• Yea, unfortunately, that utility is no longer conveniently installed by the SDK. You actually need to install the SDK and then go to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Redist\Debugging Tools for Windows" and install the msi that corresponds to your processor architecture (usually dbg_amd64.msi nowadays). After doing that you should have adplus.exe installed under "C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)".

I was trying to get adplus.exe to figure out why the print spooler on our print server is crashing (why can't they just make the event id's more verbose?!).  

Hope this helps señor.

• Proposed as answer by Go Aways Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doron Holan [MSFT] Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:19 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:48 PM
  • aaaaaah!!   good one!  YES!!  Thank you so much for helping me with that.  I saw those .msi files but there were a bunch of them and I wasn't about to run each one of them and then it still may not work.  You really helped me out alot.  Now I can get these debugger logs for our application.  YAY!!! YAY!!!
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:23 PM