Availability Group - Database Mirroring connection - Network Packet Size RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system in which there are 4 connections of protocol type: Database Mirroring. These are the for Availability Groups, SQL Server 2017. All have network packet size = 16384 bytes.

I cannot find where network packet size is set for AG/DB mirroring

any help would be appreciated, thanks

jchang

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hi jchang,

Based on my research, there is no "network packet size" setting for each database or instance in database mirroring connection.

Network packet size is setting for communication on regular connection port (i.e. TDS packets). Database mirroring connection doesn't use TDS packets but it uses the Service Broker network stack.

Here is the similar thread, please refer to it.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/60102712-ae50-4974-b023-d3584fe82c81/network-packet-size-or-bandwidth-restriction-in-database-mirroring?forum=sqldatabasemirroring

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Bob_FT Friday, January 18, 2019 5:02 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 7:33 AM
  • the db mirroring in dm_exec_connections did not have a session_id, so I suppose that means it is not TDS?

in other systems with AG, there were no dm_exec_connections with network packet size > 8060, which is something I look for.

so, why in this case is it 16384? that is what I am looking for

jchang

Friday, January 18, 2019 1:05 AM
  • The network packet size can be changed manually.
    Friday, January 18, 2019 5:01 PM
  • that's wonderful, how? what is the command, or UI location?

jchang

Friday, January 18, 2019 5:47 PM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/configure-the-network-packet-size-server-configuration-option?view=sql-server-2017
    Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Bob_FT, that's the default setting, which can be overridden in a connection by explicitly stating the network packet size. In this case, per Emily above, DB mirroring goes through service broker, and apparently there is no setting for network packet size.
    however, in other systems with AG, I do not see packet size larger the 8060, though I was not looking for DB Mirroring connections specifically

jchang

Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:52 PM
  • Hi jchang,

Thanks for your response.

Could you please tell us the version of your SQL Server. And whether the AG in other system is also in the same network.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, January 21, 2019 2:34 AM