none
REG_MULTI_SZ launch condition value comparison RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am trying to evaluate which version of SQL does one have on the computer before my setup will continue.

I use key below to distinguish between: MSSQLSERVER or SQLEXPRESS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

My problem is that InstalledInstances key is a multiline string and i am having trouble comparing it to "MSSQLSERVER" string.

I tried these launch condition evaluations but to no prevail.

SQLEDITION = "MSSQLSERVER"
    SQLEDITION = "#%MSSQLSERVER"
    SQLEDITION >< "#%MSSQLSERVER"
    SQLEDITION ~>< = "#%MSSQLSERVER"

and others variations of above.

Can someone guide on how to compare are multiline regustry key with launch conditions.

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Petkarus,

You had better use other method to detect SQL Server on target PC. If customers install SQL Server separately, InstalledInstances key can be customized by customers. So you could not know whether they install an express edition (SQLEXPRESS) or other editions (MSSQLSERVER).
    I suggest that you could use Custom Action Editor which allows you to specify additional actions to be performed on a target computer during installation.
    Here is a useful link for Custom Action Editor.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xf0t1593(VS.80).aspx

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Hi Petkarus,

I found a useful blog that would help you to more solution. It's about how to detect SQL Server using WMI. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2006/07/29/faq-detecting-sql-server-2005-using-wmi.aspx

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:42 AM