none
Report request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am aware of that this question could better be asked in Excel or Reporting Services forums. But I would need to explain a lot more and so I hope, that someone has already had a similar request and can tell me how to solve (or that it is not possible at all).

I have a project custom field with look up table, I use a cube to create my report.
    I need to create a chart report with following requirements:
    - Actual Work as stacked column (color change by project enterprise field value)
    - Baseline Work as stacked column (color change by project enterprise field value)
    - Baseline Work and Actual Work next to each other, x axis is time
    - A line above these columns reflecting capacity

In Excel (2007+) I had been successful to get both stacked columns next to each other, but I can’t add capacity line, since this value is also splitted into my project category.
    In Reporting Services (2005+) I can get the capacity line as I want to have it, but I need to decide if I want to see actual+baseline work together in one stacked column or next to each other.

I see the reason for this request, so I hope someone was already asked a similar question. However I am not sure if it possible at all. Is there any experience on something like that?

Thanks in advance!
    Barbara

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Barbara,

I don't have a good answer for this - but one possibilty might be to pull the required data into different sheets in Excel, and then produce a consolidated graph by reference to the other sheets, rather than trying to do it all in one step?  Someone smarter than me might have a better answer.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

thanks, I will give it a try.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, July 30, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Hi Brian,

sorry for unmarking as answer. There are some people not reading answered questions and I hope that I will get some additional ideas during next week. I will mark as answer if nothing else happens in a few days.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:13 PM
  • No problem Barbara.  I'd also like to see ideas from others.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, August 2, 2010 5:08 PM
    Owner
  • This might work, if I understand the request properly:

- Andrew Lavinsky

Monday, August 2, 2010 6:14 PM
  • ...although you might need to create a column to total Capacity across Enterprise
    Project Type (assuming I understand the question).

- Andrew Lavinsky

Monday, August 2, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

thank you for your idea. English is not my native language, so I think I could not explain what I want to achieve. Maybe I only don't understand what can be done with these horizontal lines? Here is a screenshot - I faked it with an image program. I am able to display actual work and baseline work as I want to. But I couldn't get the capacity line in there so far.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I have tried to do as Brian suggested, but I am also not successful with his idea.

Thanks
    Barbara

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:44 AM
  • How do you embed the picture?  I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

I still think that would work.  Try this:

1) Right click on the chart, and Select Data

2) Add the Capacity data to the chart.  It will probably show up as a bar on top of the other bars.

3) Left click on Capacity in the Legend.  Select Change Series Chart Type

4) Set to Line Graph

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I have searched a lot this morning, to get that picture in there. ;-) I uploaded at http://www.tinypic.com/, that gave me some html string I put here in HTML editor.

What you described was one of my first tests. If I want to have actual and baseline work next to each other as stacked columns, I am only able to change to chart type for each project category, not for my measures. My legend are the project categories, not actual/baseline/capacity.

Moreover it is not possible to add additional measures to the chart. Using a pivot table as base for a chart seems to mean to take this one and nothing else.

If I move "Summary: Values" to legends (no idea if I translated that to the Microsoft term?), I loose my actuals and baseline values next to each other.

Thanks a lot!
    Barbara

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Hmmm....then not sure without the file in front of me.  Good luck....
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

thanks a lot for support and trying. I think I will give it up, if I don't find a solution until next weekend. I have tried any checkbox and option I could find, seems that it is a limitation of Excel. But at least I do now know the ribbon of Excel quite good. ;-) It is true what I have read in a blog recently: Prepare for Project Server 2010: Go back to Excel school.

Thank you!
    Barbara

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:12 PM
  • I gave up - seems it is not possible.

Thanks to both of you!
    Barbara

Friday, August 6, 2010 10:56 AM