Import flat file with vertical bar column separator RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to import a flat file with values, separated with vertical bar but PowerPivot Wizard does not recognize the delimiter and my values are not separated in different columns.

My file is like this:

ColumnName1|ColumnName2|ColumnName31|2|3

I am using the latest build of PowerPivot with Excel 2010 RC on Windows7 Ent x86.

Am I missing something?

Ivan

Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Ivan,

Under PowerPivot menu, if you click Settings ribbon, it will bring PowerPivot Options and Diagnostics dialog box, what is the Version build number shown there? For RC0 build, it should be 10.50.1450.3. If you do have the RC0 build, in the Table Import Wizard where you specify the file path and name for the flat file, click Advanced button, and change Encoding to a different value, would that make any difference?

Thanks,

Lisa

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Hi, Lisa,

I checked the build and it is 10.50.1405.0. I guess I am quite behind with the builds. Where do i get the latest build you are mentioning, because I have my current version from the download section onwww.powerpivot.com

As for my issue - I guess it is not applicable with the new build (the one you mention) so I guess I will have to check after I reinstall!

Thanks,

Ivan

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Hi, Ivan,

The build you have is the re-released November CTP build. This is a known issue with CTP3 and has been addressed in RC0 build. The following forum post reports the same problem and the test result I posted to the thread.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel/thread/15a18ebf-4d11-49da-990a-4090a06d7acc

Thanks,

Lisa

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Thanks, Lisa,

Sorry for reposting, I did not find that forum post earlier!

BR,

Ivan

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:55 PM