linked server between 2 sql servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have 2 sql server A and Server B

i have SA access on Server A and just read access on Server B(that to i am in a group account) i mean our group is added to the Server B which is in same domain but this server is used by different team so they just gave us read access on this server by adding our group there.

Server A is our team server we have full rights on it.

nOW WE want to create a linked server on Server A, can i create it if so what security context i should use could any one please help me

say our group added on Server B is domain\teamA_readaccess and on server A we have same account with admin access.

Monday, June 4, 2012 4:00 PM

Answers

• On Server B you can only have read permission if your group has only read permission on that server.

You can ask the other team for creating a sql server user with the permissions you need and use these SQL Server user in your linked server.

• Marked as answer by SQLKiller Monday, June 4, 2012 6:59 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 6:34 PM

All replies

• On Server B you can only have read permission if your group has only read permission on that server.

You can ask the other team for creating a sql server user with the permissions you need and use these SQL Server user in your linked server.

• Marked as answer by SQLKiller Monday, June 4, 2012 6:59 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yes i requested them to create a sql account so that i can use that credentials for the remote login.(Its working now).

Adding to it, is there any other way around as i used the third option login with current context , then i can only login to that linked server even if i a add other users and impersonate it works only for me and other users in that group unable to access it give anonymous login error for them.It works perfectly fine for me.

Could any one give more explanation. 

Monday, June 4, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Anonymus Logon is a Kerberos issue. That should not impact a sql server login.

How do you create the linked server? Can you share the skript?

Monday, June 4, 2012 7:14 PM