none
[MS-CIFS] SMB_COM_NT_CREATE_ANDX request: CreateOptions: Undocumented value - 0x00200000 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As the title suggest, Windows XP SP3 sumbit an undocumented CreateOptions flag during some SMB_COM_NT_CREATE_ANDX requests (in my case when communicating with Windows Server 2003 SP2).

Both Wireshark and MS-SMB2 suggests that this value (0x00200000) is FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT, but it would be best to have an official answer and the MS-CIFS documentation updated.

Thanks,

Tal Aloni

• Edited by Tal Aloni Friday, July 8, 2016 9:16 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 9:15 AM

Answers

• RESOLUTION
    ------------

CreateOption FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT is 0x00200000.  Reparse points were introduced post Windows 2000. So this flag is applicable only in MS-SMB and NOT MS-CIFS.  Document MS-SMB will be updated accordingly.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

Monday, July 25, 2016 7:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Tal, thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, July 8, 2016 4:22 PM
  • Hello Tal Aloni, I will be assisting you with your issue. Would you be able to contact me by sending an email to dochelp at Microsoft dot com? Please attach the network traces that you've collected for this issue and provide the frame details.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Friday, July 8, 2016 7:50 PM
  • RESOLUTION
    ------------

CreateOption FILE_OPEN_REPARSE_POINT is 0x00200000.  Reparse points were introduced post Windows 2000. So this flag is applicable only in MS-SMB and NOT MS-CIFS.  Document MS-SMB will be updated accordingly.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications

Monday, July 25, 2016 7:08 PM