Need a direction RRS feed

• Question

• User-527908287 posted
    I am currently working on a project on how to add a barcode or QR Code scanner/reader to a website; I have 3 important questions to ask please:
    1. Do I need to be online when writing the codes for the scanner?
    2. Am I going to add a VB form to the project?
    3. If I decide to convert my website into an app, will I still need to rewrite or alter the code I used to create the scanner/reader? Or will the app be using the same code as in the website?
    Friday, March 20, 2020 10:35 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Donald416

I am currently working on a project on how to add a barcode or QR Code scanner/reader to a website; I have 3 important questions to ask please:
    1. Do I need to be online when writing the codes for the scanner?
    2. Am I going to add a VB form to the project?
    3. If I decide to convert my website into an app, will I still need to rewrite or alter the code I used to create the scanner/reader? Or will the app be using the same code as in the website?

Your question is not clear.  How are you planning to "add a barcode or QR Code scanner/reader to a website"? 

Your users will attach a scanner to their machine and interact with your server code via a browser or custom code installed on the user's machine?

Are you building a mobile application that uses the camera?

Explain the high level application flow.

Friday, March 20, 2020 12:00 PM
  • User-527908287 posted

<br>
    What I mean is scanning the bar code or QR code via a Webcam. Like having a Web page with a button to scan the bar or QR code when clicked on<br>
    Friday, March 20, 2020 7:45 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Donald416

What I mean is scanning the bar code or QR code via a Webcam. Like having a Web page with a button to scan the bar or QR code when clicked on

You're looking for a JavaScript API.   Just do a Google search.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebRTC_API/Taking_still_photos

Next, you 'll need to find bar code and/or QR C# library.  Try NuGet.

Friday, March 20, 2020 8:13 PM
  • User665608656 posted

Hi Donald416,

What I mean is scanning the bar code or QR code via a Webcam. Like having a Web page with a button to scan the bar or QR code when clicked

I recommend you use jQuery Webcam Plugin to ahcieve your function.

The webcam method is called in js by triggering the button button. After capturing the image, it is sent to the server as raw data in the form of a hexadecimal string through jQuery Webcam Flash.

For more detailed usage, you can refer to this link:

Capture Image (Photo) from Web Camera (Webcam) in ASP.Net using C# and VB.Net

Best Regards,

YongQing.

Saturday, March 21, 2020 7:05 AM