About DTA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Every one,

As DTA works well if we provide representative workload, but there r some options not documented anywhere ( i think ). Can anyone describe each in detail?

After workload capture, Is it necessary to start analysis on dedicated sql server machine?

When I start to analize 1 ad-hoc query, DTA suggest nothing after 5  successful processes. But when I see execution plan it displays missing index message and get same detail through missing_index_detail DMV. What went wrong?

Thanks

Waiting

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:08 AM

Answers

• Please always tell us what version you are using.

I think asking someone to describe each detail in a forum post is a bit much. Why do you think there are undoc'd options?

How did you do the 1 query analysis? Directly through SSMS or through a captured file?

I know there are many problems with DTA and have seen many cases where it didn't give a recommendation, even though it was obvious there was one. DTA is just one tool in your toolbox and is not the right tool for every job.

HTH, Kalen Delaney www.SQLServerInternals.com
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:45 PM

All replies

• Please always tell us what version you are using.

I think asking someone to describe each detail in a forum post is a bit much. Why do you think there are undoc'd options?

How did you do the 1 query analysis? Directly through SSMS or through a captured file?

I know there are many problems with DTA and have seen many cases where it didn't give a recommendation, even though it was obvious there was one. DTA is just one tool in your toolbox and is not the right tool for every job.

• Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Sir,

Thanks for reply,

I am using sql server 2008 standard edition. And did analysis through SSMS. And pl send available link to get deeper documention of options.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Who is the 'sir' you are referring to? ;-)

Did you check the online documentation? Did you do a web search? There are dozens of entries for tutorials and details about DTA.  What did you feel was missing? Please be specific about what you need.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:22 PM