Don't Get Me Started - When Software Sucks RRS feed

• General discussion

• Bad software is more than an inconvenience. It's an obstacle to productivity and achievement. David Platt's daughter Annabelle Platt shows how bad software is hard at work in the educational space.

Read this article in the September 2017 issue of MSDN Magazine

Friday, September 1, 2017 5:52 PM

All replies

• A question about the ordered pair complaint.

Outside the ordered pair context does the software allow US-style commas, that is, is 9,300 interpreted as 9300?

If so I would have to put the described ordered pair behavior of requiring a space into the "regrettable but necessary" category, the space is needed to terminate the first number.

I know that 9300 would be an odd component of an ordered pair problem but you also don't want to have to write and use different number parsers for all the different contexts that might pop up.

Sunday, September 3, 2017 6:01 AM
  • Sadly, this is a common practice today, poor development and design. Next to no testing by the school, business before making it public.

We note that this education service provides web site is not even optimised for the browser on windows 10 mobile.

However, Microsoft are also very bad at delivering working software, for example when viewing this Microsoft web site on my windows 10 phone, we can log-in and attempt to reply to this post only to find that the form will not accept input. So we attempted to email this pages url via edge and outlook to find that did not work either. After manually emailing the url we finally responded to this post on android.

Poor design, companies not resolving bugs and design issues, failing to provide a good usability piece of software are seriously a significant issue.

Your article discusses what we all suffer every day.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:49 AM
  • As a volunteer in a high school AP Computer Science class and full-time software developer, I totally sympathize with Annabelle.

I have already recommended to the instructor that every student in his class read that article.

Hearing things from an adult like me is one thing. 

Hearing something from one of their peers will hopefully strike the right chord with people the same age as Annabelle.

If you think development is tough now, think how hard it was using punched cards :-)

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:30 PM
  • Really, KBaztak!  I'm sorry, that would be so inconvenient for you to write good code.
    • Edited by JDPavekPDX Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:09 AM edit
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:02 AM
  • Annabelle Rose, thank you for the article.  I enjoyed it so much I would like to pre-order your first book.
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:15 AM
  • LOL Pen and paper are still better than a bad software. 
    Friday, September 15, 2017 4:30 AM
  • Tallyho Annabelle! you've seen the enemy and know who it is. Have asked several co-workers to read your article. I will steal your comments for my next meeting.. "gouge eyes out with a spoon"... LOL.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:33 PM